Petra is a baby girl’s name of Greek origin that means “rock, stone”. Petra is the feminine form of the name Peter, but was also the name of a lost city that was rediscovered by archeologists in the early 19th century. Petra is a vintage name that stayed in the top 1000 names between 1900 and 1971, but it is due for a resurgence.
Meaning of the Name Petra
Petra is a baby girl’s name of Greek origin that means “rock, stone”. Petra is the feminine form of the name Peter and was also the name of an ancient city once located in Jordan.
Petra means “rock, stone”. Stone is a common symbol for strength and stubbornness. However, stone is also a symbol of hidden wealth, abundance, protection, and stability.
Nicknames for Petra
Petra evokes feelings of strength and beauty. It's a fun name that deserves a carefree and playful nickname. Below, we've compiled a list of nicknames to help you get inspired to nickname the Petra in your life:
Petra Name Details
Pronunciation: PEH-tra (German, Dutch, Czech, Slovak), PEH-traw (Hungarian), PEHT-rah (Finnish), PEHT-rə (English)
Petra Name Popularity
According to the Social Security Administration, Petra is a popular baby girl’s name. Petra was in the top 1000 baby names from 1900 to 1973. It peaked at #492 in 1929.
Related Names for Petra
Great Middle Names for Petra and Their Meanings
- Esme (beloved)
- Sabina (Sabine)
- Seraphima (ardent, fiery)
- Livie (olive tree)
- Dove (the bird)
- Lizette (pledged to God)
- Violet (purple, the flower
- Eloise (healthy, wide)
Famous People Named Petra
- Petra Charlotte Verkaik (American model)
- Petra Yared (Australian actress)
- Petra Nemcova (Czech model)
- Petra Haden (American violinist and singer)
- Petra Kvitova (Czech tennis player)
Petra in Popular Culture
- Petra Arkanian (literature, “Ender's Game” series by Orson Scott Card)
- Petra Hoffman (television, “Dance Academy”)
- Petra Larsen (television, “Marvel's Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.”)
- Petra Solano (television, “Jane The Virgin”)
- Petra Taylor (television, “Brookside”)