Last Updated on
From Zabrina to Zuzanna and everything in between, get baby girl names starting with the letter Z along with the meanings and origin of each name.
Baby Naming Tip – Look for inspiration everywhere and it will find you. From names of authors or characters in the children’s book section to the credits at the end of your favorite genre of movies and tv shows, there are plenty of wonderful baby girl names out there waiting to be discovered.
Most Popular Baby Girl Names Starting with Z
First we’ll start with the most popular baby girl names from 2018. They were:
Zoey was the most popular baby girl name starting with Z in 2018. This should come as no surprise as Zoey has been the most common baby girl name starting with Z as far back as 2009. What a run!
Here’s how the top three names have looked over the past decade:
Zoey wasn’t just popular for Z girl names in 2018. Overall it was the number 29 most popular name among all baby girl names in 2018. Here’s how it looked when compared to all baby girls born in 2018.
While Zoey was a popular choice in 2018, you can see it was only about 91% as popular a baby girl name as Penelope. Just for fun, let’s take a look at the most popular baby girl names beginning with Z throughout history.
Now let’s look into what girl’s names lost and gained popularity in 2018, again only for names starting with Z.
As you can see, Zaira fell out of favor by 10 slots and Zola was the smallest gainer in 2018, gaining only 1 spots.
Unique Baby Girl Names Starting With Z
While it’s fun to see what lots of other people are naming their babies, many people prefer to find baby names that are more uncommon. To that end, below is the some of the more unique baby girl names starting with Z.
Overall, Ziva was the 1334th most popular girl name in 2018 with 168 babies. That means there were 35x more Zoeys than Zivas last year. That makes it a very unique name!
If you don’t have your name in mind yet, don’t worry! Below we present a list of literally every baby girl name — including middle names — starting with Z, the name’s meaning and origin. Good luck and have a wonderful day.
Zabrina through Zaneta
- Zabrina — A legendary character.
- Zada Arabic — The lucky one.
- Zagir Armenian — A flower.
- Zagros sweet, feminine
- Zahara Arabic/Hebrew — Arabic: A blossom or flower. Hebrew: The bright dawn. Also see Sarah.
- Zahava Hebrew — Golden.
- Zahra Arabic/Hebrew — Arabic: A blossom or flower. Hebrew: The bright dawn. Also see Sarah.
- Zaida Arabic — fortunate one
- Zaira Arabic — rose
- Zakia Hebrew — bright, pure
- Zalia Hebrew
- Zalika Arabic/Swahili — Well-born.
- Zaltana Native American — high mountain
- Zama Latin — came from Zama
- Zambda Hebrew — meditation
- Zan Hebrew — Zanette
- Zandra — The defender, or helper of mankind. Feminine form of Alexander. Also see Alexis.
- Zane Hebrew — God is gracious. A boy or girl’s name.
- Zaneta Hebrew — The grace of God.
Zanita through Zelah
- Zanita Greek — long teeth
- Zankhana Hindu
- Zanna English — Alilly. A modern short form of Suzanna.
- Zara Arabic/Hebrew — Arabic: A blossom or flower. Hebrew: The bright dawn. Also see Sarah.
- Zaria — Helped by God. A boy or girl’s name.
- Zarifa Arabic — Graceful.
- Zarna Hindu
- Zavanna — From the grasslands or open plains.
- Zayit Hebrew
- Zaylin Zayla, Aylin
- Zaza Hebrew, Arabic — movement, flowery
- Zdenka Czech — one from Sidon, a winding sheet
- Zea Latin — Ripened grain.
- Zeanes Hebrew
- Zebina Greek — one who is gifted
- Zee Hebrew — Zeela, Zella, Zelmora, Zelnora
- Zeeba unknown
- Zehava Hebrew — golden
- Zeitia Galician
- Zelah Hebrew — A side. Also a Cornish placename.
Zelda through Zethel
- Zelda — The grey battle heroine. From the name Griselda. Made famous by the wife of American writer F Scott Fitzgerald.
- Zelena Greek — The goddess of the moon.
- Zelenka Czech — little innocent one
- Zelia Greek — Zealous, devoted to one’s duty.
- Zelinda Old German — shield of victory
- Zelma — A divine helmet. From the name Anselma. Also see Salima.
- Zelpha Hebrew — Zilpha
- Zena Scottish — The defender, or helper of mankind. Shortened form of Alexina (See Alexandra). Also see Zenobia.
- Zenaide Greek — one who has devoted his life to God
- Zenda Persian — A sacred woman.
- Zenia Greek — hospitable
- Zenith Arabic — The highest point.
- Zennor Cornish — The name of a village. A boy or girl’s name.
- Zenobia Greek — Given life by Zeus.
- Zephyrine Greek — A breeze, the west wind.
- Zera Greek — seeds
- Zerlina Teutonic — Serene beauty.
- Zerlinda Hebrew — beautiful dawn
- Zeruah Hebrew
- Zethel Hebrew
Zeva through Zizi
- Zeva Greek — A sword.
- Zevida Hebrew — gift
- Zhalore Hebrew
- Zia Arabic — Splendour or ripened grain. A boy or girl’s name.
- Ziahon Hebrew
- Ziazan Armenian — rainbow
- Zigana Hungarian — gypsy girl
- Zila Hebrew — shadow
- Zilia Aragonese
- Zillah Hebrew — Shade or a shadow. A biblical name.
- Zilli my shadow — Zili
- Zina African — name
- Zinaida Greek — of Zeus
- Zinnia Latin — From the flower.
- Ziona Hebrew — a sign
- Zippora Hebrew — A little bird, a sparrow. A biblical name.
- Zisel Hebrew — sweet
- Zita Italian — The name of a 13th-century Tuscan saint. Also a diminutive of Rosita (See Rosa).
- Ziva Hebrew — Brightness.
- Zizi Hungarian — dedicated to God
Zoe through Zuriaa
- Zoe Greek — Life.
- Zoey Greek — Life.
- Zofeya Hebrew — God sees.
- Zofia Polish — Wisdom.
- Zohra Arabic — Blooming.
- Zoila child
- Zola — Life.
- Zoleen Hebrew
- Zona Latin — prostitute
- Zonda Hebrew
- Zora Slavonic — Dawn.
- Zosia Polish — Wisdom.
- Zosima Greek — lively
- Zotia Polish — one with wisdom
- Zsa-Zsa Hungarian — A Lily. From the name Susan.
- Zula Hebrew
- Zuleika Persian — Brilliant beauty.
- Zulema Arabic/Hebrew — Peace.
- Zuri Swahili — Beautiful.
- Zuriaa Basque
Zuza through Zuzanna
- Zuza Czech — graceful lily
- Zuzana Czech — A lily. Also see Susan.
- Zuzanna Polish — A lily. Also see Susan.
back to Baby Girl Names