Zoey is a name full of life, which is ironic since the meaning is “life.” The name is a Greek translation of the Hebrew Eve, and it is just as popular in the church, primarily in the eastern regions of the world. Even in America, however, Zoey is a top 50 name.
Meaning of the name Zoey:
Origin of the name Zoey:
The baby name Zoey is an alternative spelling to the original Zoe. This name came about in Greece from the Hellenized Jews as a translation of Eve. Popularity rose as two saints in this early church used the name for themselves, and it eventually even became a name for a Byzantine empress in the eleventh century. The name has only been used in the rest of Europe and America since the 1800s.
Symbolism of the name Zoey:
Zoey has the same meaning as the baby name Eve. Eve means “life” as the name is associated with the first woman on earth according to the Bible.
Style of the name Zoey:
Gender of the name Zoey:
Zoey is a spunky name for girls.
Pronunciation of the name Zoey:
Number of syllables in the name Zoey:
Emotion evoked from the name Zoey:
Zoey feels spunky, outgoing, and full of personality. It is a kind and fun name.
Alternative spellings for the name Zoey:
Nicknames for the name Zoey:
- Zo Zo
- Zee Zee
- Zu Zu
Popularity of the name Zoey:
Zoey became a top 1,000 name when it ranked number 875 in the year 1995. In 2008, this name that is full of personality became a top 100 option. From 2012 to 2015, it was a top 25 option. As of 2020, Zoey is still a top 50 girls' name, ranking at number 32, and it is the most popular spellng.
Related names for the name Zoey:
Great middle names for Zoey and their meanings:
- Abigail (cause of joy)
- Victoria (victory)
- Pearl (smooth and round bead)
- Tabitha (gazelle)
- Catherine (pure)
- Amara (bitter)
- Quinn (descendent of Conn)
- Cadence (rhythm, flow)
Famous people with the name Zoey:
- Zoey Deutch (actress, “Vampire Academy”)
- Zoey Ivory (Miss Nederland from 2016)
- Zoey Dean (pen name of the author of “The A List”)
- Zoey Grenier (Miss Alaska from 2015)
- Zoey Tur (broadcaster)
Zoeys in popular culture:
- Zoey (main character from “Zoey's Extraordinary Playlist”)
- Zoey Brooks (main character from “Zoey 101”)
- Zoey Johnson (character from “Blackish”)
- Zoey Woodbine (character from “Cybill”)
- Zoey Sandin (character from “The Purge”)
- Zoey Pierson (character from “How I Met Your Mother”)
- Zoey Barkow (character from “Nurse Jackie”)