Catherine is a traditional and timeless baby girl’s name meaning “pure”. Catherine is the English and French spelling of the Greek name Katherine. Catherine has been the name of countless royals over the centuries, including Kate Middleton, the wife of Prince William.
Meaning of the name Catherine:
Origin of the name Catherine:
Catherine is the French and English spelling of the Greek name Katherine meaning “pure”.
Symbolism of the name Catherine:
Purity is often associated with the color white as well as several beautiful flowers including daisies, magnolias, and lilies.
Style of the name Catherine:
Gender of the name Catherine:
Catherine is a girl's name.
Pronunciation of the name Catherine:
KATH-ə-rin, KATH-rin (English), KA-TU-REEN, KA-TREEN (French)
Number of syllables in the name Catherine:
two or three, depending on pronunciation
Emotion evoked from the name Catherine:
Catherine evokes feelings of refinement and grace.
Alternative spellings for the name Catherine:
Katherine, Katerine, Kathryn, Cathryn
Nicknames for the name Catherine:
Popularity of the name Catherine:
According to the Social Security Administration, Catherine has been popular in the US since 1900. It was in the top 100 girls’ names between 1900 and 1997. Since then it has declined in popularity and ranks #267 in 2020.
Related names for the name Catherine:
Great middle names for the name Catherine and their meanings:
- Jane (God is gracious)
- Ruth (compassionate friend)
- Birdie (bird)
- Clover (the flower, key)
- Magnolia (Magnol's flower)
- Pearl (pearl)
- Matilda (battle-mighty)
- Violet (the flower)
- Lucia (light)
- Isolde (ice ruler)
- Delphine (dolphin)
- Adele (noble)
- Belle (beauty)
- Arabella (yielding to prayer)
Famous people with the name Catherine:
- Catherine of Aragon (first wife of Henry VIII of England)
- Catherine Middleton (British Duchess of Cambridge)
- Catherine Zeta-Jones (Welsh actress)
- Catherine “Kate” Bush (English singer-songwriter)
- Catherine Tate (British actress)
Catherines in popular culture:
- Catherine “Kitty” Bennett (literature, “Pride & Prejudice” by Jane Austen)
- Catherine Martell (television, “Twin Peaks”)
- Catherine Jane “Cat” Grant (television, “Supergirl”)
- Lavinia Catherine Swire (television, “Downton Abbey”)
- Catherine (video game, “Catherine”)