Adele is a classic baby girl name that became highly fashionable again in the 2010s. The name is quite popular among singers, actresses, and on television shows like True Blood. Keep reading to find out more about this baby name.
Meaning of the name Adele:
German: nobility, noble, kind
Origin of the name Adele:
Adele derives from the Old German roots adel (which meant nobility) or adal (which mean “noble”). When given as a female name in Middle German, Adele also implied “noblewoman” or “princess.” In addition indicating to a person born to hereditary rank or aristocracy, the name could also imply noble character.
Symbolism of the name Adele:
Adele comes from the Old German words for “nobility” or “noble.” Symbols like the heraldic arms or fleur-de-lis both epitomize the word's use during this era.
Style of the name Adele:
Gender of the name Adele:
Pronunciation of the name Adele:
Number of syllables in the name Adele:
Emotion evoked from the name Adele:
The name Adele evokes feelings of upper-class refinement and charm.
Alternative spellings for the name Adele:
Nicknames for the name Adele:
Popularity of the name Adele:
According to the Social Security Administration index, Adele was the 790th most popular baby name for girls in 2020. Adele remained among the top 1,000 baby girl names for each year of the 2010s.
Related names for the name Adele:
Great middle names for Adele and their meanings:
- Amelia (work, industriousness)
- Angelique (angelic)
- Diana (divine, heavenly)
- Grace (charm, goodness, generosity)
- Jolie (pretty)
- Marie (star of the sea)
- Nicole (victory)
- Ophelia (helper)
- Penelope (weaver, bird)
- Zoe (life)
Famous people with the name Adele:
- Adele Adkins (English singer-songwriter)
- Adele Addison (American singer)
- Adèle of Champagne (French queen)
- Adèle Haenel (French actress)
- Adele Sandrock (German actress)
- Adele of Valois (French countess)
Adeles in popular culture:
- Adele Ferguson (character in the Netflix series Behind Her Eyes
- Adele Stackhouse (Sookie Stackhouse's grandmother in True Blood)
- Adèle Ratignolle (character in The Awakening)
- Adele Verans (young French ward in the novel Jane Eyre)