Addie has a complicated origin depending on whether you feel it is the female form of Adam or a shortened version of the female baby names Adelheid, Adelaide, Adeline, and Addison. Keep reading to find out more about baby name Addie.
Meaning of the name Addie:
Old German: Noble; son of Adam
Old English: Noble
Origin of the name Addie:
German. Addie is of Old German and Old English origin and its meaning “noble; son of Adam”. It is also considered the shortened version of Adelheid, Adelaide, Adeline, and Addison but evolved into its own as a formal name.
Symbolism of the name Addie:
Addie translates to “son of Adam” who was, according to the Old Testament, the first man God created.
Style of the name Addie:
Gender of the name Addie:
Addie is a female name and is often considered the female form of the male name Adam.
Pronunciation of the name Addie:
Syllables in the name Addie:
Emotion evoked from the name Addie:
The baby name Addie evokes the feeling of nobility and with a meaning of “son of Adam,” an everlasting connection with all of humankind.
Alternative spellings for the name Addie:
Nicknames for the name Addie:
Adds, Ada, Ad
Popularity of the name Addie:
According to the Social Security Administration index, Addie has only been ranked in the top 1,000 most popular names once in the last 20 years. In 2005, Addie, ranked 975th.
Related names for the name Addie:
Adalie, Abby, Aggie, Adelie, Addison, Adelaide, Adeline
Great middle names for Addie and their meanings:
- Anna (gracious)
- Blue (color)
- Delany (from the alder grove)
- Eve (life, animal)
- Grace (charm, goodness, generosity)
- Kate (pure)
- Mae (the fifth month)
- Marie (star of the sea)
Famous people with the name Addie:
- Addie Harris (singer, member of the 1960s American group The Shirelles)
- Addie McPhail (American film actress)
- Addie Muljadi Sumaatmadja (Indonesian conductor)
- Addie Wagenknecht (American artist and researcher)
- Addie L. Wyatt (African labor leader and civil rights activist)
Addie in movies/pop culture:
- Addie(a character on the soap opera “Days of Our Lives”)
- Addie Singer (the main character of the American television series “Unfabulous”)
- Addie Bundren (a main character in the William Faulkner 1930 novel As I Lay Dying)