The origin of the name Abigail is Hebrew so many people with religious routes use this name for their children. Fathers who have always wanted and prayed for a daughter may use this name, which means “fathers joy” to show their gratitude and appreciation for their daughter. Interestingly, the name Abigail is used about 82 percent of the time as a first name and only 18 percent of the time as a middle name. It is much more common as a first name in the United States. Here are some more interesting facts about this girl baby name.
Meaning of the name Abigail:
The baby name Abigail means “my father's joy” or “my father is joy.” It comes from the Hebrew language name Avigail, which symbols “my father is exultation.”
Origin of the name Abigail:
This name comes from the Hebrew name Avigail and is also a surname. This was the name given to the wife of King David in the Book of Sam in the Hebrew Bible.
Symbolism of the name Abigail:
This baby name was used to describe King David's third wife. In the Book of Sam, she was described as loyal, beautiful and good. She brought joy to her father and was her father's pride and joy.
Style of the name Abigail:
Abigail is a traditional name that was derived from the Hebrew times. It has since been translated into many different cultures.
Gender of the name Abigail:
Pronunciation of the name Abigail:
Number of syllables in the name Abigail:
Emotion evoked from the name Abigail:
The name Abigail evokes a sense of love and joy. It brings out a special feeling of loyalty between family, especially between father and daughter. It is a name often given to daughters whose fathers are blessed and honored to have a daughter of their own.
Alternative spellings for Abigail:
There are traditional alternative spellings for the name Abigail, however there are many different nicknames and ways to shorten the name Abigail. Some people have tried to make the name Abigail more unique by changing the spelling to Abigayle. This is a very uncommon way to spell this name, however it has been done in the past.
Nicknames for the name Abigail:
There are many nicknames for the name Abigail and some may say that these are alternative spellings for the name, however they are shortened versions of the traditional name. The nicknames include Abbi, Abbie, Abi, Abs, Aby, Abby, Abbie, Abbey, Gail, Gayle, and more.
Popularity of the name Abigail:
This name is one of the most popular names in the United States today. Currently, Abigail is ranked as the number 11 most popular name in the country for females. For the last 10 years, this name has remained extremely popular, but was the number four most popular name in 2005. Since 2005, it has changed spots in the top 20 list, but has not dropped out of the list.
Related Names for Abigail:
Some of the most popular names that are related to the name Abigail include Annabelle, Anna, Amelia, Gail, and Abby.
Great middle names for Abigail and their meanings:
These middle names are a great addition to the first name Abigail. They all have a great meaning and are connected to the origin of the name Abigail.
- Lynn (lake, waterfall, living near water)
- Rose (rose, flower, famous)
- May (wished for child, family)
- Anne (grace, loyal)
- Rain (abundant blessings from above)
- Iris (flower, rainbow, messenger from god)
- Pearl (smooth, polished, pure)
- Faith (trust, confidence, belief)
- Grace (charm, loving, goodness, generosity)
- Jean (God is gracious)
- Paige (assistant, helper, child)
- Willow (grace, elegance, freedom)
- Kate (pure, powerful, tenacious)
- Jane (God is gracious)
- Marie (star of the sea)
- Elizabeth (God is my path or pledged to God)
- Mary (beloved, rebellious, drop of the sea)
- Amelia (gracious, caring, beauty)
- Ruth(friend, companion, vision of beauty)
- Violet (purple flower)
- Rachel ( beloved, beautiful)
Famous people with the name Abigail:
- Abigail Adams (former First Lady)
- Abigail Breslin (Movie actress)
- Abigail Zoe Lewis (TV Actress)
- Abigail Ratchford (model)
- Abigail Cowen (TV Actress)
- Abigail Aguilar (YouTube star)
- Abigail Barlow (singer)
- Abigail Spencer (Movie actress)
- Abigail Hansel (reality TV star)
- Abigail St. John (YouTube star)
- Abigail Williams (child who inspired the book The Crucible)
- Abigail Bergman (dancer)
Abigails in movies and pop culture:
There was a movie released in 2019 called Abigail, which was based on a young girl named Abigail who had some magical powers. Other Abigails in movies and pop culture include the following:
- Abigail Whistler (fictional character in the movie Blade)
- Abigail (character in video game Street Fighter V)
- Abigail Chase (character in National Treasure movies)
- Mother Abigail (used in Stephen King's novel The Stand to personify goodness throughout the book)
- Abigail Deveraux (student in the American television soap opera “Days of Our Lives”)
- Abbey Bartlet (First Lady of the United States in American television series “The West Wing”)
- Abigail Lincoln (character from the animated series “Codename: Kids Next Door”)
- Abby Lockhart (medical doctor in the American television series “ER” )
- Abigail Stevenson (fictional character in The Babysitters Club children's book series by Ann Martin)
- Abigail Callaghan (a minor character from the Disney film Big Hero 6 for children)
- Abigail Bird (supporting character in the American comic strip Motley's Crew)
- Princess Abigail (daughter of King Midas on the TV show, “Once Upon a Time”)