Amara is a uniquely beautiful baby girl name. Mellow and mellifluous, the name has soared in popularity in recent years. Along with its important meanings in African, South Asian, and European cultures, the name also occurs frequently in entertainment. Amara Aquilla is the name of a Marvel Universe superhero, and Amara Creed is the daughter of Adonis Creed and Bianca Taylor in the film Creed II. Keep reading to learn more about this baby name.
Meaning of the name Amara:
Sanskrit: Immortal, deathless, everlasting
Origin of the name Amara:
Amara is an international baby name with several distinct etymologies. In Latin, the name derives from the word amarum (meaning “bitter”). A famous example of this application in the modern era is the Italian film Riso Amaro (meaning “bitter rice”). In the Igbo language and culture, Amara is an elegant name that means “favor” or “grace.” It has similar connotations to the English name Anne. In Sanskrit, the name derives from the word amā́ra (meaning “immortal” or “everlasting”).
Symbolism of the name Amara:
Amara is a highly popular Igbo name that means “grace.” In West Africa, the symbol for grace is the nyame nti. This exultation means “by God's grace,” and artists often use the tattoo of a tree stalk to exemplify this concept. In Sanskrit, Amara means “everlasting.” Symbols for this notion include the om and the lotus blossom.
Style of the name Amara:
Gender of the name Amara:
Amara is a girl's name.
Pronunciation of the name Amara:
Number of syllables in the name Amara:
Emotion evoked from the name Amara:
The name Amara evokes feelings of favor and good fortune.
Alternative spellings for the name Amara:
Nicknames for the name Amara:
Popularity of the name Amara:
According to the Social Security Administration index, Amara was the 142nd most popular baby name for girls in 2020. Amara has ranked among the top 200 baby names for girls since 2018.
Related names for the name Amara:
Great middle names for Amara and their meanings:
- Ariana (most holy)
- Cosette (little thing, victorious)
- Elianna (God has answered)
- Gillian (youthful, downy)
- Kathryn (pure)
- Lee (meadow, pasture, clearing)
- Nicolette (victory of the people)
- Vera (truth, faith)
- Wynne (fair, pure)
- Zahra (brilliant, flower, beautiful)
Famous people with the name Amara:
- Amara Asavananda (pageant winner)
- Amara Karan (actress)
- Amara Miller (actress)
- Amara Diana Santos (singer)
- Amara Sinha (grammarian)
- Amara Tabor-Smith (choreographer)
- Amara Sohn-Walker (journalist)
Amara in popular culture:
- Amara (character in Codex Alera fantasy book series by Jim Butcher)
- Amara Aquilla (Marvel Universe superhero)
- Amara Creed (daughter of Adonis Creed and Bianca Taylor in Creed II)
- Amara Tenoh (character in the anime Sailor Moon)