Amber is an English and Dutch baby name that comes from the name of the precious stone amber. Amber sat in the top 100 baby girl names from 1974 to 2004 and popularity has dropped off. Despite this, Amber is still a pretty alternative to other precious stone names like Ruby and Sapphire.
Meaning of the name Amber:
English/Dutch: the precious stone amber
Origin of the name Amber:
Amber is an English and Dutch given name derived from the name of the precious stone.
Symbolism of the name Amber:
The precious stone amber has been considered in folk medicine to be a healing stone that symbolizes the balance between the body and the mind.
Style of the name Amber:
Gender of the name Amber:
Amber is a girl's name.
Pronunciation of the name Amber:
AM-bər (English), AHM-bər (Dutch)
Number of syllables in the name Amber:
Emotion evoked from the name Amber:
Amber evokes feelings of warmth and happiness.
Alternative spellings for the name Amber:
Nicknames for the name Amber:
Popularity of the name Amber:
According to the Social Security Administration, Amber is a popular girl’s name that stayed in the top 100 names between 1974 and 2004 although popularity has begun to fall off since then.
Related names for the name Amber:
Great middle names for Amber and their meanings:
- Dawn (dawn)
- Dove (the bird)
- Juliana (youthful or sky father)
- Faith (trust, belief)
- Gabrielle (God is my strength)
- Cassandra (shining or excelling man)
- Helene (bright, shining light)
- Diana (divine)
- Margaret (pearl)
- Beatrice (she who brings happiness; blessed)
- Matilda (battle-mighty)
Famous people with the name Amber:
- Amber Rose Levonchuk (American model and actress)
- Amber Portwood (American reality TV personality)
- Amber Gray (American actress)
- Amber Riley (American actress and singer)
- Amber Marie Jaeger (American actress)
Ambers in popular culture:
- Amber Mariens (film, “Clueless”)
- Amber von Tussle (musical/film, “Hairspray”)
- Amber Volakis television, “House”)
- Amber Simpson (television, “The Simpsons”)
- Amber (television, “Hannah Montana”)