The name Aria is Hebrew in origin and means “lioness,” the image of which evokes a feeling of power and control, both beautiful features to imagine in your child as they move through life. If you're considering naming your baby Aria, here are some other important features about the name.
Meaning of the name Aria:
Greek and Hebrew: Lioness
Origin of the name Aria:
According to Greek mythology, Aria was a woman from Crete who had a son, Miletos, with Apollo. A Roman martyr was also named Aria although there is very little known about them.
Symbolism of the name Aria:
In Hebrew and Greek, Aria means “lioness.” In Italian it means “air” or “tune.” In the 18th century, the word aria became known as an expressive melody that is sung by a single voice, typically within an opera.
Style of the name Aria:
Gender of the name Aria:
Typically Aria is a female name, but in Persian it is a male name, and in Indian it is considered unisex.
Pronunciation of the name Aria:
Syllables in the name Aria:
Emotion evoked from the name Aria:
The name Aria evokes a feeling of power, melody, and worth.
Alternative spellings for the name Aria:
Nicknames for the name Aria:
Ari, Arie, Arri, Arrie, Arry
Popularity of the name Aria:
According to the Social Security Administration index, the name Aria began climbing in popularity in the year 2000 and has been climbing consistently since. In 2000, it was the 957th most popular female baby name, and by 2020, it was ranked 26th. It peaked in popularity as the 19th most popular in 2018.
Related names for the name Aria:
Ariel, Arya, Aurelia, Ariyah
Great middle names for Aria and their middle names:
- Anne (grace)
- Belle (trust, confidence, belief)
- Caitlin (pure)
- Elise (pledged to God)
- Grace (charm, goodness, generosity)
- Harper (harp player)
- Jade (wisdom, modesty, justice, clarity, courage)
- Jayne (God is gracious)
- Juliet (youthful)
- Kate (pure)
- Marie (star of the sea)
- Noelle (Christmas, the Lord's birth)
- Quinn (counsel, a girl who is as pretty as two)
- Rose (a flower, famous type)
- Willow (freedom, grace, elegance)
Famous people with the name Aria:
- Aria Aber (American poet and writer)
- Aria Curzon (American actress)
- Aria Johnson (American singer and actress)
- Aria Pullman (American musician, actress, model, and songwriter)
- Aria Wallace (American actress)
Aria movies/pop culture:
- Aria Montgomery (character from ABC Family's “Pretty Little Liars”)
- Aria Benett (character in the video game “Final Fantasy III”)
- Aria (character in the “Guilty Gear” series of fighting games)
- Aria T'Loak (character from the “Mass Effect” series of video games)
- Aria Link (character from the anime “Tegami Bachi”)