Juliet is an English and French name meaning “youthful” or “sky father”. The name is derived from Latin. It is impossible to separate the name Juliet from the tragic heroine of Shakespeare’s “Romeo and Juliet”.
Meaning of the name Juliet:
English/French: youthful, sky father
Origin of the name Juliet:
Juliet is an English and French feminine name that is derived from the Latin name Julia. It is a variation of the more traditional French name Juliette and means “sky father” or “youthful”.
Symbolism of the name Juliet:
Roses are associated with Juliet in “Romeo and Juliet” as in the line “that which we call a rose by any other name would smell as sweet”. Roses are symbols of love and beauty.
Style of the name Juliet:
Gender of the name Juliet:
Juliet is a girl's name.
Pronunciation of the name Juliet:
Number of syllables in the name Juliet:
two or three, depending on pronunciation
Emotion evoked from the name Juliet:
Juliet evokes feelings of youth and love.
Alternative spellings for the name Juliet:
Nicknames for the name Juliet:
Popularity of the name Juliet:
According to the Social Security Administration, Juliet has been a popular girl’s baby name since 1900 but most popular between 2010 and 2019.
Related names for the name Juliet:
Great middle names for the name Juliet and their meanings:
- Caroline (free man)
- Kate (pure)
- Emily (rival)
- Chloe (young green shoot)
- Hannah (grace)
- Abby (my father is joyful)
- Audrey (noble strength)
- Evelyn (desired)
- Nora (light)
Famous people with the name Juliet:
- Juliet Moss (American water polo player)
- Juliet Prowse (South African dancer)
- Juliet Grey (American novelist)
- Juliet May (British TV director)
Juliets in popular culture:
- Juliet Capulet (theater, Shakespeare's “Romeo & Juliet”)
- Juliet (film, “The Wizard of Oz”)
- Juliet Starling (video games, “Lollipop Chainsaw”)
- Juliet Burke (television, “Lost”)
- Juliet Sharp (television, “Gossip Girl”)