Looking for the smartest way to name your baby? Instantly access The Ultimate 2020 Baby Name Survey to learn how hundreds of parents named their babies, what they regret doing, and what they would do again if they were having a baby today.
Simply click here to get the guide.
From Yachi to Yejide and everything in between, dozens of baby girl names starting with the letter Y along with the meanings and origin of each name.
Baby Naming Tip – When you’re looking for a baby name, the sheer number of choices can be overwhelming, as are the number of sources to get them from. Keep a separate list of the names you like, either on your phone or handwritten on a notepad. You’ll have all your favorite baby girl names in one easily accessible place to narrow down as time goes on.
Most Popular Baby Girl Names Starting with Y
First we’ll start with the most popular baby girl names from 2018. They were:
Yaretzi was the most popular baby girl name starting with Y in 2018. This should come as no surprise as Yaretzi has been the most common baby girl name starting with Y as far back as 2009. What a run!
Here’s how the top three names have looked over the past decade:
Yaretzi wasn’t just popular for Y girl names in 2018. Overall it was the number 434 most popular name among all baby girl names in 2018. Here’s how it looked when compared to all baby girls born in 2018.
While Yaretzi was a popular choice in 2018, you can see it was not as popular a baby girl name as Lennon. Just for fun, let’s take a look at the most popular baby girl names beginning with Y throughout history.
Now let’s look into what girl’s names lost and gained popularity in 2018, again only for names starting with Y.
As you can see, Yvette jumped by 9 slots.
Unique Baby Girl Names Starting With Y
While it’s fun to see what lots of other people are naming their babies, many people prefer to find baby names that are more uncommon. To that end, below is the some of the more unique baby girl names starting with Y.
Overall, Yamilet was the 1914th most popular girl name in 2018 with 104 babies. That means there were 7x more Yaretzis than Yamilets last year. That makes it a very unique name!
If you don’t have your name in mind yet, don’t worry! Below we present a list of literally every baby girl name — including middle names — starting with Y, the name’s meaning and origin. Good luck and have a wonderful day.
Yachi through Yasmina
- Yachi Japanese — Eight thousand. A number name.
- Yachne Hebrew — gracious
- Yael Hebrew — A wild goat. A boy or girl’s name.
- Yaffa Hebrew — Beautiful.
- Yaffah Hebrew — Beautiful.
- Yaksha Hindu — a sister of Daksha
- Yamini Hindu — Yamni
- Yamuna Hindi — A sacred river.
- Yamura Hindu
- Yangchen Tibetan/Sherpa — The sacred one.
- Yani Aboriginal — Peace.
- Yanira Hebrew
- Yara Aboriginal — A seagull.
- Yaralla Aboriginal — A camp.
- Yaravi Yari, Yara
- Yarmilla Slavic — merchant
- Yarrah Aboriginal — A river red gum.
- Yasmeen Persian — A fragrant flower.
- Yasmin Persian — A fragrant flower.
- Yasmina Persian — A fragrant flower.
Yasmine through Ynes
- Yasmine Persian — A fragrant flower.
- Yasu Japanese — Tranquil.
- Yavonna Hebrew
- Yayoi Japanese — March
- Ydel Hebrew — praise
- Yedda Old English — A singer, one with a melodious voice.
- Yehudi Hebrew — Praise to the Lord or aperson from Judah. A boy or girl’s name.
- Yehudit Jewish — A modern form of Judith.
- Yejide Yoruba — image of her mother
- Yelena Russian — The light of the sun. Also see Eileen, Elaine, Eleanor and Ellen.
- Yeliz Turkish
- Yemena Hebrew
- Yenene Miwok Indian — wizard poisoning a sleeping person
- Yesmina Hebrew — right hand, strength
- Yetta Old English/German — To give. Also a diminutive of the name Henrietta.
- Yeva Russian — live-giving
- Yevon Hebrew
- Yindi Aboriginal — The sun.
- Ylwa Scandinavian — she-wolf
- Ynes Spanish — Pure, chaste. Forms of the girl’s name Agnes.
Ynez through Ysolda
- Ynez Spanish — Pure, chaste. Forms of the girl’s name Agnes.
- Yogini Hindu
- Yogita Hindu
- Yoko Japanese — Positive.
- Yolanda Greek/Old French — A violet flower. Also see Violet and Iolanthe.
- Yomaris Spanish — I am the sun
- Yon Korean — A lotus blossom.
- Yona Hebrew/Native American — Hebrew: A dove. Native American: A bear. A boy or girl’s name.
- Yoninah Hebrew — dove
- Yooralla Aboriginal — Love.
- Yootha — Thirsty.
- Yori Japanese — Trustworthy.
- Yoshi Japanese — Good.
- Yoshiko Japanese — child of Yoshi
- Yovela Hebrew — Rejoicing.
- Yrsa Scandinavian
- Ysabel — A form of Elizabeth, meaning consecrated to God.
- Yseult — The fair one.
- Ysobel Spanish — A form of Elizabeth, meaning consecrated to God.
- Ysolda — The fair one.
Ysolde through Yvonne
- Ysolde — The fair one.
- Ytha — Thirsty.
- Yukako Japanese — child of Yuka
- Yukiko Japanese — child of Yuki
- Yumako Japanese — child of Yuma
- Yumi Japanese — beauty
- Yumiko Japanese — child of Yumi
- Yungara Aboriginal — A wife.
- Yuri Aboriginal/Japanese/Russian — Aboriginal: To hear. Also the Russian form of George. A boy or girl’s name.
- Yuriko Japanese — child of Yuri
- Yusra Arabic — The prosperous one.
- Yutsuko Japanese — child of Yutso
- Yvette French — From the name Yvonne. The feminine form of Yves. The little archer.
- Yvonne French/Greek — French: An archer. Greek: The wood of the Yew tree.
back to Baby Girl Names