Looking for the smartest way to name your baby? Instantly access The Ultimate 2020 Baby Name Survey to learn how hundreds of parents named their babies, what they regret doing, and what they would do again if they were having a baby today.
Simply click here to get the guide.
From Vada to Vyvyan and everything in between, hundreds of baby girl names starting with the letter V along with the meanings and origin of each name.
Baby Naming Tip – If you’re looking for an unusual name, look into names from other countries such as India, China or the Philippines. Also consider baby girl names that come from mythology, the bible, literary, and film inspiration.
Most Popular Baby Girl Names Starting with V
First we’ll start with the most popular baby girl names from 2018. They were:
Victoria was the most popular baby girl name starting with V in 2018. This should come as no surprise as Victoria has been the most common baby girl name starting with V as far back as 2009. What a run!
Here’s how the top three names have looked over the past decade:
Victoria wasn’t just popular for V girl names in 2018. Overall it was the number 21 most popular name among all baby girl names in 2018. Here’s how it looked when compared to all baby girls born in 2018.
While Victoria was a popular choice in 2018, you can see it was only about 95% as popular a baby girl name as Camila. Just for fun, let’s take a look at the most popular baby girl names beginning with V throughout history.
Now let’s look into what girl’s names lost and gained popularity in 2018, again only for names starting with V.
As you can see, Vivien fell out of favor by 3 slots
Unique Baby Girl Names Starting With V
While it’s fun to see what lots of other people are naming their babies, many people prefer to find baby names that are more uncommon. To that end, below is the some of the more unique baby girl names starting with V.
Overall, Vivien was the 1212th most popular girl name in 2018 with 194 babies. That means there were 37x more Victorias than Viviens last year. That makes it a very unique name!
If you don’t have your name in mind yet, don’t worry! Below we present a list of literally every baby girl name — including middle names — starting with V, the name’s meaning and origin. Good luck and have a wonderful day.
Vada through Vallerie
- VaIda Teutonic — A ruler, a battle heroine.
- Vaisakhi Hindu
- Vaishali Hindu
- Val — Strength, valour.
- Vala Teutonic — The chosen one.
- Valarie — Strength, valour.
- Valborg Swedish — a powerful mountain
- Valda Old Norse — spirited warrior
- Valeda — Strong and healthy. Used in Russia and Eastern Europe.
- Valencia — Bravery.
- Valentina Latin — Strong and healthy. Used in Russia and Eastern Europe.
- Valentine Latin — Strong, healthy. The name of a 3rd-century saint. A boy or girl’s name.
- Valeria — Strength, valour.
- Valerie French — Strong.
- Valeska Polish — glorious ruler
- Valgerdr Scandinavian
- Valimai Welsh — A mayflower.
- Valisa wild one — Vall, Vallie
- Vallerie — To be strong.
Valletta through Vasanta
- Valletta — The capital of Malta.
- Valma — The chosen one.
- Valonia Latin — From the valley.
- Valora Latin — Brave.
- Vanda Aboriginal/Teutonic — Aboriginal: A sandhill. Teutonic: A Slavonic woman, or a wanderer.
- Vandana Hindu
- Vandita Hindu
- Vanessa — A name invented by the 18th-century poet and writer Jonathan Swift.
- Vania Russian — God?s gift
- Vanja Scandinavian — The feminine form of Vanya, also a Russian Diminutive of Ivan. Eastern European form of John.
- Vanjan Hindu
- Vanka Russian — Grace, or favoured by God. Form of Anne.
- Vanni Italian — Grace, or favoured by God. Form of Anne.
- Vanora Celtic — A white wave. A form of Guinevere.
- Varanese Italian
- Varda Hebrew — A rose.
- Varsha Hindu — rain
- Varuni Hindu — a goddess
- Varvara Russian — The foreigner or stranger. Russian form of Barbara.
- Vasanta Hindu — spring
Vasanti through Venus
- Vasanti Sanskrit — Spring.
- Vasavi Hindu — mentaldaughter of the Pitrs
- Vashti Persian — The beautiful one.
- Vasiliki Greek — basil
- Vasudhara Hindu
- Vasuki Hindu
- Vasumati Hindu — apsara of unequalled splendour
- Veda Sanskrit — Wisdom and knowledge.
- Vedette Italian/Old French — A sentinel.
- Veena Hindu
- Vega Arabic — A falling star.
- Velda — The chosen one.
- Veleda Teutonic — Inspired wisdom.
- Velika Slavonic — The great one.
- Velma — A modern English name which is particularly popular in the USA.
- Velvet English — Soft as velvet.
- Vendela Scandinavian
- Venetia Latin — A lady of Venice.
- Ventura Spanish — Good luck, happiness.
- Venus Latin — Beautiful. After the Roman goddess of beauty and love.
Vera through Vevina
- Vera Latin/Russian — Latin: True. Russian: Faith.
- Verbena Latin — A sacred bough or plant.
- Verda Latin — Fresh.
- Verena Swiss — The name of a 3rd-century saint.
- Verity Latin/Old French — Truth.
- Verla — Latin: True. Russian: Faith.
- Verna Latin — Springlike, fresh. The feminine form of Vernon. Also see Laverne.
- Verona Latin — After the Italian city. Also a variation of Veronica.
- Veronica Latin — A true likeness or image.
- Verran Cornish — The short one.
- Verrin Old French
- Verushka Czech — Latin: True. Russian: Faith. A common name in Russia, which became used in the English-speaking world in the early 20th century.
- Vesna Slavonic — Spring.
- Vesper Latin — evening
- Vespera Latin — An evening star.
- Vesta Latin — A guardian of the sacred fire. After the Roman goddess of the hearth.
- Vevay Welsh — white wave
- Vevette — A woman of the people.
- Vevila Irish Gaelic — The melodious one.
- Vevina — Sweet lady.
Vibhuti through Vinita
- Vibhuti Hindu
- Vicki — Victory, the victorious one.
- Vicky — Victory, the victorious one.
- Victoria Latin — Victory, the victorious one.
- Vida Hebrew — The beloved one. Short form of Davida, the feminine version of David.
- Vidonia Portuguese — A vine branch.
- Vidya Sanskrit — Knowledge. A boy or girl’s name.
- Vienna Latin — from wine country
- Viera Czech — Latin True. Russian faith. A common name in Russia, which became used in the English-speaking world in the early 20th century.
- Vigilia Latin — Alert, vigilant.
- Vikki — Victory, the victorious one.
- Vikriti Hindu
- Vilhelmina — The resolute protector. A feminine form of William.
- Vilma — A modern English name which is particularly popular in the USA.
- Vimala Sanskrit — Pure.
- Vina Spanish — From the vineyard.
- Vinata Hindu — humble, mother of Garuda
- Vinaya Hindu — good behaviour
- Vincentia Latin — The conqueror. The feminine form of Vincent.
- Vinita Hindu — Vineeta
Vinvella through Voleta
- Vinvella French
- Viola — A name made famous by the Shakespearian play Twelfth Night. Also see Violet.
- Violenta — From Shakespeare’s play All’s Well that Ends Well.
- Violet Latin — From the name of the flower. Also see Iolanthe and Yolanda.
- Virgilia Latin — A staff bearer.
- Virginia Latin — Maidenly, pure.
- Virida Latin — Green.
- Viridis Latin — youthful and blooming
- Virini Hindu
- Visala Hindu — celestial Apsara
- Vita Latin — Life.
- Vitoria Spanish — Victory, the victorious one.
- Vittoria Italian — Victory, the victorious one.
- Viveka Scandinavian — Lively.
- Vivian Latin — Gracious in life or lively. A boy or girl’s name.
- Viviana Italian — Lovely.
- Vivien Latin — Full of life, vital. Also see Vyvyan.
- Vivienne — Life.
- Volante Latin — The flying one.
- Voleta Greek — veiled one
Voletta through Vyvyan
- Voletta Greek/Old French — Veiled.
- Volumnia — From Shakespeare’s play Coriolanus.
- Vonni — From the name Veronica and Yvonne. Veronica – A true likeness or image. Yvonne – French: An archer. Greek: The wood of the Yew tree.
- Vonnie — From the name Veronica and Yvonne. Veronica – A true likeness or image. Yvonne – French: An archer. Greek: The wood of the Yew tree.
- Vonny — From the name Veronica and Yvonne. Veronica – A true likeness or image. Yvonne – French: An archer. Greek: The wood of the Yew tree.
- Vrinda Hindu — virtue and strength
- Vyvyan Cornish — From an old surname. A boy or girl’s name.
back to Baby Girl Names