At home with the kids? Instantly access any of these printable activity bundles to keep them learning!
Last Updated on
From Iagan to Izaak and everything in between, hundreds of baby boy names starting with the letter I along with the meanings and origin of each name.
Baby Naming Tip – If you want your child to have a unique name, it’s easy to create one. Just add a syllable to the end of a name you like (like Vin Diesel did when naming his daughter Pauline after Paul Walker). Add ina, anna, anne, ine or another one syllable ending to create different baby boy names.
Most Popular Baby Boy Names Starting with I in 2018
First we’ll start with the most popular baby boy names from 2018. They were:
Isaac was the most popular baby boy name starting with I in 2018. This should come as no surprise as Isaac has
been the most common baby boy name starting with I as far back as 2009. What a
Here’s how the top three names have looked over the past decade:
Isaac wasn’t just popular for I boy names in 2018. Overall
it was the number 34 most popular name among all baby boy names in 2018. Here’s
how it looked when compared to all baby boys born in 2018.
While Isaac was a popular choice in 2018, you can see it was
only about 98% as popular a baby boy name as Dylan. Just for fun, let’s take a look at the most
popular baby boy names beginning with I throughout history.
Now let’s look into what boy’s names lost and gained popularity in 2018, again only for names starting with I.
As you can see, Imran jumped by 5 slots. and Ilan was the smallest gainer in 2018, gaining only 0 spots.
Unique Baby Boy Names Starting With I
While it’s fun to see what lots of other people are naming their babies, many people prefer to find baby names that are more uncommon. To that end, below is the some of the more unique baby boy names starting with I.
Overall, Izayah was the 1271th most popular boy name in 2018 with 144 babies. That means there were 58x more Isaacs than Izayahs last year. That makes it a very unique name!
If you don’t have your name in mind yet, don’t worry! Below we present a list of literally every baby boy name — including middle names — starting with I, the name’s meaning and origin. Good luck and have a wonderful day.
Iachima through Ihorangi
- Iachima — From Shakespeare’s play Merry Wives of Windsor.
- Iagan Scottish — The little fiery one.
- Iago Spanish — Spanish form of James. The supplanter. Also from Shakespeare’s play Othello.
- Iain Gaelic — God’s gracious gift
- Ian Hebrew — God is gracious. The Scottish form of John.
- Ibeamaka African — the agnates are splendid
- Ibrahim Hebrew — The father of many.
- Icarus Greek — A legendary figure.
- Ichabod Hebrew — The glory has departed.
- Iden Old English — Prosperous.
- Idris Arabic/Welsh — Arabic: A good man. Welsh: A fiery, impulsive lord.
- Idwal Welsh — The lord of the wall or rampart.
- Iestin Welsh — Welsh form of Justin. Just or true.
- Iestyn Welsh — Welsh form of Justin. Just or true.
- Ieuan Welsh — Welsh form of John. God is gracious. Also see Evan and Owen.
- Ifor Welsh — A traditional name of uncertain meaning.
- Ignacio Latin — one who is lively
- Ignatius Latin — Ardent, fiery.
- Igor Scandinavian — Hero. Also a Russian variation of the name George.
- Ihorangi Polynesian — Rain.
Ike through Ingram
- Ike Hebrew — Laughter, the laughing one.
- Ikey Hebrew — Laughter, the laughing one.
- Ilar Welsh — Cheerful.
- Ilario Italian — Cheerful.
- Ilhan Turkish
- Ilias Latin — Jehovah is my God
- Ilie Romanian — Romanian form of Elias. The Lord is God.
- Ilya Russian — Russian form of Elijah. The Lord is God.
- Imam Arabic — One who believes in God. A boy or girl’s name.
- Immanuel German — God is with us.
- Imre Hungarian — An industrious ruler.
- Ince Latin — innocent
- Indra Sanskrit — The God of the atmosphere and sky.
- Ingemar Old Norse — A famous son.
- Inger Old Norse — A son’s army or a Hero’s daughter. A boy or girl’s name.
- Inglebert Teutonic — A bright Angel.
- Ingmar Scandinavian — famous son
- Ingram Teutonic — The raven.
Inigo through Ishver
- Inigo Latin — Ardent, fiery.
- Innes Celtic/Gaelic — An island in the river, or from the island. Also see Ennis.
- Innocent Latin — Harmless, innocent. The name of several saints and popes.
- Ioannes Greek — Greek form of John.
- Iolo Welsh — A handsome lord.
- Iolyn Welsh — A handsome lord.
- Ion Romanian — Romanian form of John. God is gracious.
- Iorweth Welsh — A handsome lord.
- Ira Hebrew — Watchful, vigilant. A biblical name.
- Iravan Hindu — son of Arjuna/Uloopi
- Irawaru Polynesian — A figure from legend.
- Irvin Anglo-Saxon — lover of the sea
- Irving Scottish — Handsome and fair.
- Irwin Old English — From the words `boar’ and ‘friend’.
- Isa Sanskrit/Teutonic — Sanskrit: A lord. Teutonic: Strong-willed. A boy or girl’s name.
- Isaac Hebrew — Laughter, the laughing one. The son of Abraham in the Bible.
- Isaiah Hebrew — God is salvation, or God is my helper. One of the prophets in the Bible. Lived in the 8th century BC.
- Isha Hindu — one who protects
- Ishmael Hebrew — The Lord will hear. The first son of Abraham in the Bible.
- Ishver Hindu
Isidore through Izaak
- Isidore Greek — The gift of Isis (an Egyptian goddess).
- Isidro Spanish — Chidro
- Israel Hebrew — The Lord’s soldier.
- Istvan Hungarian — Hungarian form of Stephen. A crown or garland.
- Itzaak Hebrew — Laughter, the laughing one.
- Itzak Hebrew — laughter
- Itzik Hebrew — Laughter, the laughing one.
- Ivan — Eastern European form of John.
- Ivar Old Norse — A battle archer.
- Ives Old English — The little archer.
- Ivo German — The little archer.
- Ivor Old Norse — A battle archer.
- Izaak Dutch — Laughter, the laughing one.