The name Ivan is often associated with Russia and other Slavic countries and rightfully so. It's the Russian version of the English name “John,” and it was the name of several members of royalty and nobility in the region for many centuries. Today, it's one of the few names that remain popular in both Slavic countries and English-speaking countries, including the United States. It's also gaining favor in Spanish-speaking cultures.
Meaning of the name Ivan:
Hebrew: God is gracious
Slavic: Graced by God
Origin of the name Ivan:
The name Ivan may have Hebrew roots, but it is largely associated with Slavic countries, like Russia, where it's their version of the English name John.
Symbolism of the name Ivan:
Ivan was the name of many Bulgarian and Russian emperors, so it's often associated with royalty and nobility.
Style of the name Ivan:
Gender of the name Ivan:
Ivan is a boy's name.
Pronunciation of the name Ivan:
EYE-van or ee-VAHN
Number of syllables in the name Ivan:
Emotion evoked from the name Ivan:
The baby name Ivan evokes the image of a strong leader.
Alternative spellings for the name Ivan:
Nicknames for the name Ivan:
Popularity of the name Ivan:
Ivan is a baby name that has stayed fairly consistent in popularity in the United States since the early 1900s. According to the Social Security Administration, it ranked at number 153 in 2020.
Related names for the name Ivan:
Great middle names for Ivan and their meanings:
- Joseph(he will add)
- Daniel (God is my judge)
- Alexander (protector of men)
- George (farmer)
- Paul (small, humble)
- Nathaniel (given by God)
- Keith (woodland forest)
- Charles (free man)
Famous people with the name Ivan:
- Ivan Rodriguez (baseball player)
- Ivan Franko (writer)
- George Ivan Morrison aka Van Morrison (musician)
- Ivan Pavlov (physiologist known for “Pavlov's Dogs”)
- Ivan Mažuranić (poet)
Ivans in popular culture:
- Ivan Vanko (Marvel Comics character)
- Ivan the Doorman (character in the “Curious George” movie)
- Ivan(character in the movie “Mighty Morphin Power Rangers: The Movie”)
- IvanGorilla (character in the book and movie “The One and Only Ivan”)
- Ivan Veen (character in the book “Ada or Ardor”)