Whether you want a playful name like Frankie or something more refined, like Ford, we have you covered. Here’s a solid list of baby boy names that start with the letter F to help you find the perfect option for your little one.
Modern Baby Boy Names Starting with F
First we'll start with the most popular baby boy names in 2021:
- Fitzgerald — Fitzgerald ranked among the top 1,000 boy names as the 690th most popular name of 1964. Some experts suggest that this occurred as a tribute to John Fitzgerald Kennedy. Fitzgerald was also the 971st most popular baby name for 1965.
- Finnigan — Finnigan as a given name is a variant spelling of Finnegan. The spelling Finnigan is more commonly used as a surname than a given name.
- Fynn — Fynn as a given name is an Anglicized spelling of the name Fionn. Fionn mac Cumhaill was a hero from Irish mythology who is said to have eaten an enchanted salmon and gained all of the world's wisdom. He also killed a fire-breathing dragon.
- Fernando — Fernando is not just a name for a person; it is also the name of a popular Argentinian cocktail!
- Forest — Forest Dewey Dodrill was an American physician who was notable because he was the first person to perform the first successful open-heart surgery using a mechanical pump. Dodrill worked at Harper University Hospital at Wayne State University in Michigan and used a pump he developed along with General Motors. The operation was performed in 1952.
- Frank — Frank is a standalone baby name that comes from the Frank tribe in Germany. Many individuals assume that Frank is a nickname for Franklin. It can be both.
- Fabian — Fabian comes from the Latin clan name Fabius meaning “bean grower”. The Fabius clan’s most famous member was Quintus Fabius Maximus, a Roman general that delayed the invasion of Hannibal in the third century.
- Felix — Felix is one of the most popular baby boy names in literature. It is in "Twilight," "Confessions of Felix Krull," "Spy Kids," and "Cat's Cradle" to name a few.
- Faris — Faris is spelled the same as the Scottish surname Faris. It has nothing to do with the origin of the name, however, as the latter is just the English version of the surname MacFergus.
- Finn — Finn is a popular name for celebrity babies. Actor and filmmaker Ed Burns and his wife Christy Turlington have a son with the name. Actress Tori Spelling, actor Owen Wilson and singer Natalie Maines also have sons with the moniker.
- Floyd — Floyd Lawson on "The Andy Griffith Show" may be one of the most notable characters in pop culture history with the name. Played by actor Howard McNear, he was the town barber in Mayberry.
- Finley — Finley is a unisex name found commonly in Scotland, Ireland, the U.S., and the British Isles. In its Gaelic form (Fionnlagh), Finley is father of the title character in Shakespeare's Macbeth.
- Fredy — Fredy doesn't just mean wise counsel in Old German - it can also be translated to mean "elf"!
- Franklin — Franklin as a given name became immensly popular during and immediatly after the presidency of Franklin D. Roosevelt. It declined in popularity through the late 1900s but is making a strong resurgence.
- Finnegan — Finnegan is the main character of the book Finnegans Wake by James Joyce. This book title comes from a 19th-century ballad called "Finnegan's Wake." The Dubliners re-popularized the song in Ireland during the 1960s.
- Francis — Francis as a given name is popular among Italian and Irish Roman Catholics due to Pope Francis and many famous saints also bearing the name.
- Freddie — Freddie ranked among the top 500 baby names for boys from 1900 through the late 1980s. The name Freddie frequently ranks among the top 100 baby names for boys in England and Wales.
- Frankie — Frankie is as popular for girls as it is for boys in modern times. In 2015, it was ranked 992 for both genders.
- Freddy — Freddy is sometimes a diminutive of the girl’s name Frederica but it is rarely used as a feminine given name.
- Francesco — Francesco remains at the top of the popularity list in Italy. The Catholic culture in the country reinvigorated this title because of Pope Francis.
Unique Baby Boy Names Starting With F
While it’s fun to see what lots of other people are naming their babies, many people prefer to find baby names that are more uncommon. To that end, below is the some of the more unusual & unique boy names that start with F:
No unique F names yet but we’re adding new ones every day!
Did you find any winners in the list of rare boy names that start with F? If not, don't worry! We have thousands more names on the site to choose from. Be sure to check out all baby names that start with F as well as middle names that start with F.