Fabian is a baby boy’s name of Latin origin that means “bean grower”. Fabian has been popular since the late 1950’s and sits at #420 as of 2020. Fabian has the posh upper class sound of similar names Dorian and Gideon.
Meaning of the name Fabian:
Latin: bean grower
Origin of the name Fabian:
Fabian is a derivation of the Latin name Fabius meaning “bean grower”.
Symbolism of the name Fabian:
Beans were more than a simple crop in ancient Roman. The Romans believed that beans were able to house the souls of the dead. Beans were scattered around the house on specific holy days to absorb souls so they would not haunt the family home.
Style of the name Fabian:
Gender of the name Fabian:
Fabian is a boy's name.
Pronunciation of the name Fabian:
FA-byan (German, Polish), FA-bee-ahn (Dutch), FAY-bee-ən (English)
Number of syllables in the name Fabian:
two or three, depending on pronunciation
Emotion evoked from the name Fabian:
Fabian evokes feelings of enthusiasm and creativity.
Alternative spellings for the name Fabian:
Nicknames for the name Fabian:
Popularity of the name Fabian:
According to the Social Security Administration, Fabian is a baby boy’s name that has been popular since 1957. Fabian was at peak popularity in 2007 at #253.
Related names for the name Fabian:
Great middle names for the name Fabian and their meanings:
- Hugh (mind, intellect)
- Rupert (bright fame)
- Benedict (blessed)
- Constantine (steadfast)
- Luther (army people)
- Chester (fortress)
- Cosmo (order, beauty)
- Lucius (light)
- Cato (all-knowing)
Famous people with the name Fabian:
- Fabian Johnson (American soccer player)
- Fabian Cancellara (Swiss cyclist)
- Fabian Delph (British footballer)
- Fabian Bourzat (French ice dancer)
- Fabian Washington (American NFL player)
Fabian in popular culture:
- Fabian (literature, “Twelfth Night” by William Shakespeare)
- Fabian Prewett (literature, “Harry Potter” series by J. K. Rowling)
- Fabian Rutter (television, “House of Anubis”)
- The Fabian Society (British political organisation)
- Fabian Aramais Seacaster (video game, “Fantasy High” series)