Dorian is a beautiful baby name that is unisex, but it is especially popular among boys. The name comes from Oscar Wilde's “The Picture of Dorian Gray.” Currently, Dorian is close to a top 500 name.
Meaning of the name Dorian:
Greek: from the sea
Irish: created name
Origin of the name Dorian:
Dorian was not a name until the year 1891. It was Oscar Wilde who created the name for use in his novel, “The Picture of Dorian Gray.” Some believe that Wilde found the name from the title of a Greek tribe called the Dorians.
Symbolism of the name Dorian:
If Wilde got the name Dorian from the Dorians, the name would mean “from the sea.” Some just believe that it is a name that came straight from Wilde's imagination.
Style of the name Dorian:
Gender of the name Dorian:
Dorian is a European-sounding baby name for boys or girls.
Pronunciation of the name Dorian:
Number of syllables in the name Dorian:
Emotion evoked from the name Dorian:
Dorian is a very European-sounding and complex baby name. It sounds formal and classic.
Alternative spellings for the name Dorian:
Nicknames for the name Dorian:
Popularity of the name Dorian:
Dorian became a top 1,000 baby name in America in the mid-twentieth century in 1946 at rank 845. As of 2020, the baby name is on the rise at rank 511. Dorian was a top 400 name for one year in 2000 at rank 398.
Related names for the name Dorian:
Great middle names for Dorian and their meanings:
- James (supplanter)
- Foster (forest guardian)
- Rhett (advice)
- Calder (rough waters, stream)
- Camilla (young ceremonial attendant)
- Liz (God is my oath)
- Ruth (friend)
- Sylvia (spirit of the wood)
Famous people with the name Dorian:
- Dorian Leigh (one of the first supermodels)
- Dorian Kingi (actor, “Antlers”)
- Dorian Missick (actor, “For Life”)
- Dorian West (rugby player)
- Dorian Pena (basketball player)
- Dorian Gregory (actor, “Charmed”)
Dorians in popular culture:
- Dorian Gray (main character from “The Picture of Dorian Gray”)
- Dorian Havilliard (character from “Throne of Glass” series)
- Dorian (character from “Almost Human”)
- Dorian Long (character from “Moesha”)
- Dorian Lagatos (character from “Dorian Blues”)
- Dorian Hawkmoon (character from “Eternal Champion” series)
- Dorian Heywood (character from “A Different World”)