Cassius is a very old name — it dates back to Ancient Rome. But these days many people associated it with a famous boxer and one of the most notable athletes of all time. Either way, the name made the list of the top 1,000 names for baby boys in the United States in 2008, and it's been on the rise ever since. We like the way it sounds with classic baby names like George, Henry, and Theodore.
Meaning of the name Cassius:
Latin: Empty, hollow
Origin of the name Cassius:
Cassius was an Ancient Roman clan name that was derived from the word “cassus,” which means “empty” or “hollow.”
Symbolism of the name Cassius:
While the name's meaning may be a bit of a turnoff, most people find symbolism by looking back at other people who have been named Cassius. Of course, the most notable in modern times is Cassius Clay, aka Muhammad Ali. The name could be chosen to honor this noteworthy athlete and Civil Rights activist. There were also several Christian saints with the name.
Style of the name Cassius:
Gender of the name Cassius:
Cassius is a boy's name.
Pronunciation of the name Cassius:
Number of syllables in the name Cassius:
Emotion evoked from the name Cassius:
The baby name Cassius evokes images of someone who is generous and compassionate.
Alternative spellings for the name Cassius:
Nicknames for the name Cassius:
Popularity of the name Cassius:
According to the Social Security Administration, Cassius was a top 1,000 baby name for boys in the United States in 1964. In 2008, it made it a comeback, and it's been climbing the list ever since. As of 2020, it ranked at number 488.
Related names for the name Cassius:
Great middle names for Cassius and their meanings:
- George (farmer)
- Henry (ruler of the house)
- Clayton (town built on clay)
- Theodore (gift of God)
- Noah (rest)
- Alexander (defender of men)
- Jack (God is gracious)
- Gabriel (God is my strength)
- Benjamin (Son of the right hand)
Famous people with the name Cassius:
- Cassisus Clay (boxer Muhammad Ali's birth name))
- Cassius Marcellus Clay (politician)
- Cassius Dio (Roman historian)
- Cassius Stanley (basketball player)
- Cassius Winston (basketball player)
Cassius in popular culture:
- Cassius au Bellona (character in the “Red Rising” book series)
- Cassius Green (character in the movie “Sorry to Bother You”)
- Cassius(character from the video game “The Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky”)
- Cassius Chrome (character from the TV show “Robot Wars”)