At home with the kids? Instantly access any of these printable activity bundles to keep them learning!
From Yadon to Yves and everything in between, hundreds of baby boy names starting with the letter Y along with the meanings and origin of each name.
Baby Naming Tip – When you’re looking for a baby boy name, the sheer number of choices can be overwhelming, as are the number of sources to get them from. Keep a separate list of the names you like, either on your phone or handwritten on a notepad. You’ll have all your favorites in one easily accessible place to narrow down as time goes on.
Most Popular Baby Boy Names Starting with Y in 2018
First we’ll start with the most popular baby boy names from 2018. They were:
Yusuf was the most popular baby boy name starting with Y in 2018. This should come as no surprise as Yusuf has been the most common baby boy name starting with Y as far back as 2015.
Here’s how the top three names have looked over the past decade:
Yusuf wasn’t just popular for Y boy names in 2018. Overall it was the number 567 most popular name among all baby boy names in 2018. Here’s how it looked when compared to all baby boys born in 2018.
Yusuf was a popular choice in 2018, and you can see it was very similar in terms of numbers of new babies as Brendan. Just for fun, let’s take a look at the most popular baby boy names beginning with Y throughout history.
Now let’s look into what boy’s names lost and gained popularity in 2018, again only for names starting with Y.
As you can see, Yeshua fell out of favor by 5 slots.
Unique Baby Boy Names Starting With Y
While it’s fun to see what lots of other people are naming their babies, many people prefer to find baby names that are more uncommon. To that end, below is the some of the more unique baby boy names starting with Y.
Overall, Yeshua was the 1600th most popular boy name in 2018 with 103 babies. That means there were 5x more Yusufs than Yeshuas last year. That makes it a very unique name!
If you don’t have your name in mind yet, don’t worry! Below we present a list of literally every baby boy name — including middle names — starting with Y, the name’s meaning and origin. Good luck and have a wonderful day.
Yadon through Yashovarman
- Yadon Hebrew — he will judge
- Yael Hebrew — A wild goat. A boy or girl’s name.
- Yahto Native American — blue
- Yakecan Dene Indian — sky, song
- Yakov — The modern Jewish and Russian form of Jacob. Held by the heel.
- Yale Old English/Tuetonic — Old English: From the corner of the land. Tuetonic: The one who pays.
- Yan Hebrew — God?s grace
- Yancy Native American — The Englishman. The word later became `Yankee’.
- Yanis Hebrew — God’s gift
- Yannick French — Yannig, Vann
- Yannis Greek — Greek form of John.
- Yaphet Hebrew — Youthful.
- Yardley Old English — From the enclosed meadow.
- Yarin Hebrew — to understand
- Yarn Breton — Form of John.
- Yarran Aboriginal — An Acacia tree.
- Yasar Arabic
- Yash Hindu
- Yashodhar Hindu — Yashodhara
- Yashovarman Hindu
Yashpal through Yitzaak
- Yashpal Hindu
- Yasir Arabic — Wealthy.
- Yasuo Japanese — peaceful one
- Yates Middle English — The keeper of the gates.
- Yazid Arabic — Ever increasing.
- Yefrem Russian — Fruitful. One of the sons of Joseph in the Bible.
- Yehuda Jewish — The praised one.
- Yehudi Hebrew — Praise to the Lord or aperson from Judah. A boy or girl’s name.
- Yener Turkish
- Yered Hebrew — Form of Jared.
- Yerik Russian — appointed by God
- Yervant Armenian — an Armenian king
- Yeshaya Hebrew
- Yeshe Tibetan/Sherpa — Wise one.
- Yestin Welsh — Welsh form of Justin. Just or true.
- Yevgeni Russian — The noble, well-bon one.
- Yigael Hebrew — God will redeem.
- Yigit Turkish
- Yileen Aboriginal — A dream.
- Yitzaak Hebrew — Laughter, the laughing one.
Yitzak through Yudhajit
- Yitzak Hebrew — Laughter, the laughing one.
- Yngvar Norse — of Ing?s army
- Ynyr Welsh — Honour.
- Yobachi African — pray to God
- Yoel Hebrew — The Lord is God.
- Yogendra Hindu
- Yogesh Hindu
- Yogi Japanese — one of the yoga practice
- Yona Hebrew/Native American — Hebrew: A dove. Native American: A bear. A boy or girl’s name.
- Yong Korean — The brave one.
- Yoram Hebrew — The Lord is exalted.
- Yorick Greek — A tiller of the soil (farmer). From the name George.
- York Celtic/Old English — Celtic: The farm of the Yew tree. Old English: A boar farm.
- Yosef Hebrew — God shall add.
- Yoshifumi Japanese
- Yoshimitsu Japanese
- Yoshiyuki Japanese
- Ysgarran Welsh
- Yuan Chinese — The original.
- Yudhajit Hindu
Yuka through Yves
- Yuka Aboriginal — A tree.
- Yukio Japanese — gets what he wants, God will nourish
- Yul Latin — A Roman family name, possibly meaning youthful. Born in July.
- Yule Old English — Born at Christmas.
- Yuma Native American — The son of a chief.
- Yuri Aboriginal/Japanese/Russian — Aboriginal: To hear. Also the Russian form of George. A boy or girl’s name.
- Yusuf Arabic — Arabic form of Joseph.
- Yutaka Japanese
- Yves French — The little archer.