Francis is a French and English baby boy’s name that was most popular in the first half of the 20th century. Francis is slowly regaining popularity but still falls behind alternatives like Francisco.
Meaning of the name Francis:
French, Latin: Frenchman, free man
Origin of the name Francis:
Francis is an English and French baby name that means “Frenchmen, free man”. Francis is most often used as a masculine name. Frances is the feminine version.
Symbolism of the name Francis:
Francis as a name is associated with animals and ecology due to the St. Francis of Assisi who is the patron saint of animals and the environment.
Style of the name Francis:
Gender of the name Francis:
Francis is a boy's name.
Pronunciation of the name Francis:
FRAN-sis (English), FRAHN-SEES (French)
Number of syllables in the name Francis:
Emotion evoked from the name Francis:
Francis evokes feelings of hard work and tradition.
Alternative spellings for the name Francis:
Nicknames for the name Francis:
Popularity of the name Francis:
According to the Social Security Administration, Francis is a popular baby boy’s name that has been in the top 1000 names since 1900. Francis was in the top 100 names until 1955. It has begun to rise in popularity again since 2009.
Related names for the name Francis:
Great middle names for the name Francis and their meanings:
- Martin (warlike)
- Simon (the listener)
- Gideon (hewer)
- Jonah (dove)
- Isaiah (Salvation of the Lord)
- Noah (rest, repose)
- Samuel (told by God)
Famous people with the name Francis:
- Francis Scott Key (American poet)
- Francis Scott Key Fitzgerald (American novelist)
- Francis Ford Coppola (American film director)
- Francis Galton (English polymath)
- Francis Peyton Rous (American virologist & Nobel Prize winner)
Francis in popular culture:
- Francis Dolarhyde (literature/film, “Red Dragon” by Thomas Harris)
- Francis Griffin (television, “Family Guy”)
- Francis (video game, “Left 4 Dead”)
- Francis (television, “Malcolm in the Middle”)
- Francis Freeman (film, “Deadpool”)