Phillip is a prestigious baby name for boys. Immortalized since Macedonian times, this name has a permanent place in modern-day popular culture. Phillip “Phil” Coulson is the name of a character in the Marvel Comics universe, and Phillip Ronan “Lip” Gallagher is also a character in the Shameless series. Keep reading to learn more about this name.
Meaning of the name Phillip:
Greek: Friend of horses
Origin of the name Phillip:
Phillip is an alternative spelling of the name Philip. This name derives from the Greek given name Φίλιππος (Philippos). The first part of name is the element φίλος (philos) and means “friend.” Likewise, the second part of the name is the element ἵππος (hippos) and means “horse.” The name implies that its bearer is an excellent horseman and warrior.
Symbolism of the name Phillip:
Phillip is a variation of the name Philip (meaning “friend of horses”). Historically, one of the most famous bearers of the name was Philip II of Macedon (father of Alexander the Great). This ruler famously reformed the military and established the Macedonian phalanx, an infantry structure that other civilizations would duplicate for centuries. The symbol of Philip II was the Vergina Sun. Also known as the Argead Star, it is a solar symbol with 16 rays.
Style of the name Phillip:
Gender of the name Phillip:
Phillip is a boy's name.
Pronunciation of the name Phillip:
Number of syllables in the name Phillip:
Emotion evoked from the name Phillip:
The name Phillip evokes feelings of faithfulness and good fortune.
Alternative spellings for the name Phillip:
Nicknames for the name Phillip:
Popularity of the name Phillip:
According to the Social Security Administration index, Phillip was the 523rd most popular baby name for boys in 2020.
Related names for the name Phillip:
Great middle names for Phillip and their meanings:
- Abel (breath, vapor)
- Bonner (good, kind, courteous, handsome)
- Carlton (freeman settlement)
- Earl (nobleman, aristocrat, warrior, prince)
- Erick (eternal ruler)
- Gavin (white hawk)
- Jedidiah (beloved of the Lord)
- Lennox (elm tree grove)
- Noah (rest, respite, repose)
- Otto (wealth, fortune)
- Rufus (red-haired, ruddy)
- Travis (traverse, cross, toll collector)
- Zion (holy place, highest point, citadel, zenith)
Famous people with the name Phillip:
- Phillip Jack Brook (wrestler)
- Phillip Darren Buchanon (football player)
- Phillip James Dodd (architect)
- Phillip Bon “Phil” Donahue (talk show host)
- Phillip Joel Hughes (cricketer)
- Phillip Calvin “Dr. Phil” McGraw (clinical psychologist and television personality)
- Phillip Noyce (film director)
- Phillip LaDon Phillips Jr. (singer and television personality)
- Phillip Bryan Schofield (broadcaster)
- Phillip Allen Sharp (geneticist)
- Phillip Hagar Smith (engineer)
- Phillip Leslie Wilcher (composer)
Phillip in popular culture:
- Phillip “Phil” Coulson (character in the Marvel Comics universe)
- Phillip Ronan “Lip” Gallagher (character in the Shameless series)