The name Abel may have been first recorded in the book of Genesis in the Bible. It was the name of the brother of Cain, and together, they were the sons of Adam and Eve. It is a very popular name even among parents now, and many individuals with the name are found throughout Europe and in the United States. Find out more about the baby name Abel.
Meaning of Abel:
Biblical: Vanity, breath, vapor, a city, mourning
Hebrew: breath, son, breathing spirit
Origin of the Name Abel:
The baby name Abel may have come from the Hebrew name Hebel. This original name was actually created out of the Hebrew word hevel which means breath in Hebrew and son in Assyrian. The Puritans in England were one of the first to popularly use this name during the 1600s, but it soon expanded throughout Europe and America. It has remained particularly popular in the country of Sweden since the year 1496.
Symbolism of the Name Abel:
Abel was the brother of Cain in the Biblical story of the family of Adam and Eve. He was actually killed by his brother out of a fit of jealousy. God favored Abel’s offering over Cain as it was from the heart, which is why the name may have been popular among the Puritans who were a sect of Christianity.
Style of the Name Abel:
The style of the baby name Abel is very classic as it stems from Hebrew tradition.
Gender of Abel:
Pronunciation of Abel:
Number of syllables in Abel:
Emotion evoked by the Name Abel:
The name Abel gives off a sense of kindness and innocence.
Alternative spellings of Abel:
Abael, Abaell, Abail, Abell, Abale, Abayl, Able
Nicknames of Abel:
Abe, Abey, Abie, Abs, Bell
Popularity of the Name Abel:
In the year 2020, the baby name Abel was ranked as the 181st most popular name in the United States. It reached its highest popularity in recent years in the year 2015 as it was the 124st most popular name.
Related names to Abel:
Great middle names for Abel and their meanings:
- James (supplanter, replacer, may God protect)
- Carter (driver of a cart)
- Thomas (twin)
- Lucas (man from Lucania, bright, shining)
- Patrick (regal, noble)
Famous people with the name Abel:
- Abel Hernandez (Soccer player, Al Ahli Qatari club)
- Abel Ferrara (Filmmaker, Bad Lieutenant)
- Abel Tesfaye (The Weeknd, pop singer)
- Abel Gance (French film director, La Roue)
- Abel Miller (R&B singer)
- Abel Pacheco (President of Costa Rica)
Movies/pop culture Characters with the Name Abel:
- Abel (Biblical son of Adam and Eve)
- Abel Teller (Sons of Anarchy character)
- Abel Nightroad (character in Trinity Blood anime)
- Abel Gideon (Hannibal television show character)
- Abel Magwitch (character in novel Great Expectations)