Ignacio is a lively and energetic baby name for boys. Known for its reverent roots, this name produces modern diminutives that makes it perfect for the contemporary age. Ignacio is the protagonist of the Nacho Libre franchise, and Ignacio Alonzo Julio Federico de Tito is a character in the Oliver and Company franchise. Keep reading to learn more about this baby name.
Meaning of the name Ignacio:
Latin, Etruscan: Born of fire, ardent, fiery
Origin of the name Ignacio:
Ignacio is the Spanish form of the name Ignatius. This name combined the Latin root ignis (meaning “fire”) with the Etruscan suffix natius. The name Ignatius means “born of fire.”
Symbolism of the name Ignacio:
Ignacio is the Spanish rendition of the name Ignatius (meaning “born of fire,” “fiery,” or “ardent”). Historically, two of the most famous bearers of the name were Saint Ignatius of Antioch and Saint Ignatius of Loyola. Ignatius of Antioch was an early Christian martyr famous for his murder under Emperor Trajan. His epistles to early churches provide important insight on life in Christianity during the generation that immediately followed the original 12 apostles.
Ignatius of Loyola was the founder of the Society of Jesus (more commonly known as the Jesuits). The motto of this society is “for the greater glory of God.” In addition to religion, this society is famous for its establishment of colleges and universities around the world. The symbol of Ignatius of Antioch is the icon of a bishop with lions, and symbols of Ignatius of Loyola include the sacerdotal vestment, crucifix, and rosary.
Style of the name Ignacio:
Gender of the name Ignacio:
Ignacio is a boy's name.
Pronunciation of the name Ignacio:
Number of syllables in the name Ignacio:
Emotion evoked from the name Ignacio:
The name Ignacio evokes feelings of insight and impact.
Alternative spellings for the name Ignacio:
Nicknames for the name Ignacio:
Popularity of the name Ignacio:
According to the Social Security Administration index, Ignacio was the 1,015th most popular baby name for boys in 2020. Ignacio was the 988th most popular boy name in 2019.
Related names for the name Ignacio:
Great middle names for Ignacio and their meanings:
- Aubin (white, bright, fair)
- Bolivar (riverside mill)
- Carlos (free man, strong, virile, petite)
- Ethan (solid, enduring, firm)
- Johannes (God is gracious)
- Luis (famous warrior)
- Manuel (God is with us)
- Oriel (golden)
- Regis (king, ruler, regent)
- Salvatore (savior)
- Vernon (alder tree grove)
Famous people with the name Ignacio:
- Ignacio José Allende (army general)
- Ignacio Manuel Basilio (writer)
- Ignacio Saul “Nani” Corleto (rugby player)
- Ignacio Martin Fernandez (footballer)
- Ignacio Ventura Figueredo (folk musician)
- Ignacio Anaya García (chef)
- Ignacio Piñeiro Martínez (composer)
- Ignacio Walker Prieto (politician)
- Ignacio Ariel Serricchio (actor)
- Ignacio “Nacho” Arroyo Varela (basketball player)
Ignacio in popular culture:
- Ignacio (protagonist of the Nacho Libre franchise)
- Ignacio Alonzo Julio Federico de Tito (character in the Oliver and Company franchise)