Irving is a name that sounds, naturally, Celtic. What began as a surname in Scotland is now a popular first name among Jewish families and those who enjoy old-fashioned options. Though no longer a top 1,000 name, it is still used among many people for their sons.
Meaning of the name Irving:
Scottish: green river, sea friend, green water
Origin of the name Irving:
The baby name Irving originates as a Scottish surname. This family name was for those from Irvine, which is a town in the country. The Jewish helped to spread this baby name's use as a first name option.
Symbolism of the name Irving:
Irving means “green river” or “green water” because that is the meaning of the town Irvine. Remember, Irving was a surname for people from this area.
Style of the name Irving:
Gender of the name Irving:
Irving is a very Celtic baby name for boys.
Pronunciation of the name Irving:
Number of syllables in the name Irving:
Emotion evoked from the name Irving:
Irving is a mature and wholesome baby name. It is unique and a bit quirky.
Alternative spellings for the name Irving:
Nicknames for the name Irving:
Popularity of the name Irving:
Irving was a top 200 name in America from 1900 to 1929 It remained on the top 500 list until 1955. The baby name did steadily decline in popularity, never to be put on the top 500 list again. The last year Irving was on the top 1,000 list was in 2005 when it was rank 984.
Related names for the name Irving:
Great middle names for Irving and their meanings:
- Anthony (priceless one, highly praiseworthy)
- Noah (rest)
- Dominic (belonging to the Lord)
- Theodore (gift of God)
- Jameson (son of James)
- Sean (God is gracious)
- Gael (Irishman, blessed, generous)
- Zion (Israel)
Famous people with the name Irving:
- Irving Berlin (composer)
- Irving Thalberg (film producer)
- Irving Rhames (actor, “Mission: Impossible”)
- Irving Janis (psychologist)
- Irving Mills (jazz musician)
- Irving Caesar (lyricist)
- Irving Langmuir (chemist, Noble Peace Prize winner)
- Irving Fisher (economist)
Irvings in popular culture:
- Irving Harper (character from “Everwood”)
- Irving Hillman (character from “Cathy” comicstrip)
- Irving Beaks (character from “Harvey Beaks”)
- Irving (character from “Chicago”)
- Irving Burnside (character from “Garfield and Friends”)