Seymour is a baby boy’s name of English and Normal origin. In English, Seymour means “marshy land near the sea”. Seymour is also derived from a Normal surname referring to a person from the city of Saint Maur. Seymour was popular at the beginning of the 20th century.
Meaning of the name Seymour:
English: marshy land near the sea
Norman: from Saint Maur
Origin of the name Seymour:
Seymour is a baby boy’s name of English origin that means “marshy land near the sea”. It is also derived from a Normal surname that refers to someone from near the town of Saint Maur.
Symbolism of the name Seymour:
Seymour means “marshy land near the sea”. The ocean is a common symbol for deep emotional feelings, creativity, strength, and power.
Style of the name Seymour:
Gender of the name Seymour:
Seymour is a boy's baby name.
Pronunciation of the name Seymour:
Number of syllables in the name Seymour:
Emotion evoked from the name Seymour:
Seymour evokes feelings of intelligence and a love of nature.
Alternative spellings for the name Seymour:
Seamour, Semour, Seymor
Nicknames for the name Seymour:
Popularity of the name Seymour:
According to the Social Security Administration, Seymour is a popular baby boy’s name. Seymour was in the top 1000 baby names list from 1900 to 1947. It peaked in 1924 at #182.
Related names for the name Seymour:
Great middle names for the name Seymour and their meanings:
- Elias (Yahweh is God)
- Ezra (help)
- Isaac (laughter)
- Elijah (Yahweh is God)
- Nathaniel (gift of God)
- Benjamin (son of the right hand)
- Zachary (the Lord has remembered)
- Dominic (belonging to the lord)
Famous people with the name Seymour:
- Seymour “Sy” Liebergot (American NASA flight controller)
- Seymour Cray (American electrical engineer)
- Seymour “Sy” Hersh (American investigative journalist)
- Seymour Cassel (American actor)
- Seymour Hicks (British actor)
Seymour in popular culture:
- Seymour Krelborn (theater, “Little Shop of Horrors”)
- Seymour Guado (video game, “Final Fantasy X”)
- Seymour Birkhoff (television, “Nikita”)
- Principal Seymour Skinner (television, “The Simpsons”)
- Seymour (film, “Ghost World”)