Valerie was super popular during the mid-20th century, and while it has fallen back on the list of the top baby names in the United States, it remains one of the most beloved monikers for baby girls. The French name evokes images of Christian saints, adored actresses and fun TV cartoon characters. It's soft and feminine but has a strong meaning — literally!
Meaning of the name Valerie:
French: health and strength
Latin: health and strength
Origin of the name Valerie:
The baby name Valerie is a French derivative of the Latin word “valere,” which means “healthy” and “strong.” It's also a variant of the Ancient Roman surname Valerius.
Symbolism of the name Valerie:
Valerie is also the name of a Christian saint who was said to be beheaded for her faith. Legend has it that she carried her head back to her bishop before her death. For this reason, the name also symbolizes associated with strength and determination.
Style of the name Valerie:
Gender of the name Valerie:
Valerie is a girl's name.
Pronunciation of the name Valerie:
Number of syllables in the name Valerie:
Emotion evoked from the name Valerie:
Despite its meaning and symbolism, the name Valerie evokes images of someone who is soft, feminine and pretty.
Alternative spellings for the name Valerie:
Nicknames for the name Valerie:
Popularity of the name Valerie:
Valerie has been on the list of the top 1,000 baby names in the United States for over a century, but it was most popular during the 1950s, 1960s, 1970s and 1980s. In 2020, it ranked at number 145, according to the Social Security Administration.
Related names for the name Valerie:
Great middle names for Valerie and their meanings:
- Eloise (healthy, wide)
- Sophia (wisdom)
- Rose (flower)
- Josephine (God increases)
- Eliza (pledged to God)
- Jane (God is gracious)
- Margaret (pearl)
- Iris (rainbow)
- Isabelle (God's promise)
Famous people with the name Valerie:
- Valerie Bertinelli (actress)
- Valerie Harper (actress)
- Valerie Jarrett (political advisor)
- Valerie Plame (writer and CIA officer)
- Valerie French (actress)
Valeries in popular culture:
- Valerie Barlow (character on the soap opera “Coronation Street”)
- Valerie Frizzle (character on the TV show “The Magic School Bus”)
- Valerie Lewton (character in the movie “Final Destination”)
- Valerie Malone (character from the TV show “Beverly Hills 90210”)
- Valerie Gray (character from the cartoon “Danny Phantom”)
- Valerie Brown (character from the “Josie and Pussycats” franchise)