Vivian is a girl’s baby name that has been in common use since the Middle Ages. It is just as timelessly beautiful today as it was centuries ago. Meaning “alive,” the name promises energy and and enthusiasm for life.
Meaning of the name Vivian:
Origin of the name Vivian:
Vivian is the English form of the Latin name Vivianus.
Symbolism of the name Vivian:
With the meaning “life,” Vivian is symbolized by vibrant flowers and trees and beautiful natural vistas.
Style of the name Vivian:
Gender of the name Vivian:
Although Vivian was originally a boy’s name, it has been used almost exclusively as a girl’s name since the Middle Ages.
Pronunciation of the name Vivian:
Number of syllables in the name Vivian:
Emotion evoked from the name Vivian:
Vivian evokes feelings of refinement and vibrant life.
Alternative spellings for the name Vivian:
Vivyane, Vivianne, Vivien, Vivienne
Nicknames for the name Vivian:
Popularity of the name Vivian:
According to the Social Security Administration, Vivian is a timeless baby name that has never fallen out of favor as a girl’s name. Vivian was in the top 100 baby names for girls between 1911 and 1934. It returned to the top 100 list in 2014 and remains there.
Related names for the name Vivian:
Great middle names for the name Vivian and their meanings:
- Annalise (graceful oath)
- Beatrix (blessed, happy)
- Sylvia (forest, woods)
- Opal (jewel)
- Mira (peace)
- Katrina (pure)
- Eloise (sun)
- Cerise (cherry)
- Celeste (of the sky, heavenly)
Famous people with the name Vivian:
- Vivian Dandridge (American actress)
- Vivian Green (American R&B singer)
- Vivian Bang (American actress)
- Vivian Oparah (British actress)
- Vivian Vance (American actress
Vivians in popular culture:
- Vivian Alamain (television, “Days of Our Lives”)
- Vivien Harmon (television, “American Horror Story”)
- Princess Vivian (television, “Sofia the First”)
- Vivian (video games, Paper Mario series)
- Vivian Banks (television, “Fresh Prince of Bel-Air”)