Bonnie is a Scottish girl’s name that means “pretty, beautiful” and also “good, cheerful”. The name was popular in the mid 20th century and has started to climb in popularity again since 2014. Bonnie is a sweet name for any baby girl.
Meaning of the name Bonnie:
Scottish: pretty, beautiful
French: good, cheerful, joyous
Origin of the name Bonnie:
Bonnie is a Scottish name that comes from the Scottish word “bonnie” for that means “pretty, beautiful”. The word comes from the French term “bon” which means “good”.
Symbolism of the name Bonnie:
Bonnie means “beautiful” and brings to mind all sorts of symbols of beauty including the amaryllis flower.
Style of the name Bonnie:
Gender of the name Bonnie:
Bonnie is a girl's baby name.
Pronunciation of the name Bonnie:
Number of syllables in the name Bonnie:
Emotion evoked from the name Bonnie:
Bonnie evokes feelings of joy and beauty.
Alternative spellings for the name Bonnie:
Nicknames for the name Bonnie:
Popularity of the name Bonnie:
According to the Social Security Administration, Bonnie is a popular baby girl’s name that has been in the top 1000 since 1900. It was at peak popularity between 1928 and 1966. After being out of fashion for half a century Bonnie started to rise in popularity again in 2014.
Related names for the name Bonnie:
Great middle names for the name Bonnie and their meanings:
- Esther (star)
- Ruth (compassionate friend)
- Jane (God is gracious)
- Claire (bright, clear)
- Juliet (youthful or sky father)
- Charlotte (free man)
- Violet (purple)
- Matilda (battle-mighty)
Famous people with the name Bonnie:
- Bonnie Bernstein (American sportscaster)
- Bonnie Dobson (Canadian folk singer)
- Bonnie Poe (American voice actress)
- Bonnie Blair (American Olympic skater)
- Bonnie Bramlett (American singer)
Bonnies in popular culture:
- Bonnie Bennett (television, “The Vampire Diaries”)
- Bonnie (film, “The Craft”)
- Bonnie (television, “Friends”)
- Bonnie (television, “Scrubs”)
- Bonnie Lisbon (film, “The Virgin Suicides”)