Lay the foundation for a life filled with happiness by selecting a name from this list of baby names that mean joy. From Blythe, which means cheerful, to Osher, which means “one who is happy,” this list is full of original options — each more joyful than the last. Take a look!
- Ahuiliztli The name Ahuiliztli (ah-wee-leez-tlee) has its roots in the Aztec language. It is a unique unisex name that embodies joy.
- AshAsh stems from the names Asher and Ashley. This joyful three-letter-moniker is of Hebrew origin.
- Ayo If you're looking for a gender-neutral name that is short and sweet, the name Ayo may fit the bill. Popular in Yoruba, this African moniker means ‘great joy.'
- Bliss It's hard to go wrong with a name like Bliss. From the Old English word blisse, this gender-fluid name exudes joviality.
- Blythe Blythe is a popular name for boys and girls. It comes from an Old English term that means cheerful.
- Dechen Dechen is a Tibetan name that means ‘endless bliss.' It's assigned to both genders.
- Eden/Edyn Eden is a biblical name of Hebrew origin. The name refers to a ‘place of pleasure' or ‘garden of paradise' once occupied by Adam and Eve.
- ElleryThe name Ellery first popped up on the radar in the early 1900s. Two American writers used Ellery Queen as a pseudonym and created a fictional character bearing the same name. Not only does this unisexual moniker mean joyful, but it also refers to an ‘Island of elder trees.'
- Faegan Faegan is a Christian name mainly given to boys and girls in English-speaking countries. It's a variant of Fagan, which means ‘Little fiery one or joyful.'
- GaleSophisticated, yet playful, Gale means ‘my father is joyful.' This genderless name has Hebrew roots and several variant spellings.
- Gili Gili is a unisex moniker of Hebrew origin. This spirited name means ‘my joy.'
- Harsha- is a genderless name of Indian origin. It refers to a pleasant person.
- Jingyi The name Jingyi has a nice ring to it. This gender-neutral moniker comes from the Chinese words jing, meaning quiet, and yi, which means joy.
- Lowen Lowen is a unique Cornish name for a male or female. It is the English variant of Lewin.
- Noam Noam is a Hebrew-based name that means pleasant. It is also a place located in Southern Israel. Generally, given to boys, the name works for girls, too.
- Osher Osher is a gender-neutral moniker of Hebrew origin. It is derived refers to ‘one who is happy.'
- Revel Revel is a cool name for a little bundle of joy. Alternate spellings of this genderless moniker include Revell and Revill.
- Ronel Ronel is a unisex name with Welsh origins. The name Ronel translates to ‘God's joy.'
- Rani/Roni Rani is a gender-neutral name of Hebrew origin. It represents ‘my song' or ‘my joy.'
- Simcha- Hebrew moniker Simcha is a celebratory name given to either gender to express delight. It is also a Jewish philosophy born of the 19th century that refers to ‘a state of happiness.'
- Tate Tate is an adorable gender-fluid moniker. It is an English name of Norse origin that means cheerful.
- TatumThe moniker Tatum has found itself on the top of the name list for boys and girls. It is of English origin, meaning ‘bringer of joy.'
- Toshan name Toshan is an Indian name used for both genders. It is common among Sikh and Hindu religions and symbolizes satisfaction.
- Vuyo In African cultures, Vuyo is a gender-fluid name. It comes from the Xhosa language typifies happiness.
- Yuki Yuki is a sweet-sounding Japanese name that means happiness or snow. It is suitable for a boy or a girl.
Peruse thousands of baby names on MomsWhoThink.com! And follow us on Pinterest for more parenting inspiration!
The image featured at the top of this post is ©iStock.com/RomoloTavani.