Theodora is a vintage baby girl’s name that was popular in the first half of the 20th century and has become fashionable again. The name means “gift of God” and is of Greek origin. Theodora was a common name in the Byzantine Empire and was the name of several empresses.
Meaning of the name Theodora:
Greek: gift of God
Origin of the name Theodora:
Theodora is a baby girl’s name of Greek origin that means “gift of God”. Theodora is the feminine form of the name Theodore.
Symbolism of the name Theodora:
Theodora is a regal name that has been borne by many empresses and queens throughout history. Royal symbols such as the crown and scepter are naturally associated with the name.
Style of the name Theodora:
Gender of the name Theodora:
Theodora is a girl's baby name.
Pronunciation of the name Theodora:
Number of syllables in the name Theodora:
Emotion evoked from the name Theodora:
Theodora evokes feelings of refinement and wisdom.
Alternative spellings for the name Theodora:
Nicknames for the name Theodora:
Popularity of the name Theodora:
According to the Social Security Administration, Theodora is a popular baby girl’s name. Theodora was in the top 1000 baby names from 1900 to 1954. It returned to the top 1000 list in 2019.
Related names for the name Theodora:
Great middle names for the name Theodora and their meanings:
- Alice (noble)
- Phoebe (shining one)
- Astrid (divinely beautiful)
- Eir (mercy)
- Adelaide (noble)
- Coralie (maiden, pearl)
- Helene (radiant)
- Mariya (bitter, beloved)
Famous people with the name Theodora:
- Theodora I (Byzantine Empress as wife of Justinian I)
- Theodora Ungureanu (Romanian Olympic gymnast)
- Theodora Goss (Hungarian-American fantasy author)
- Theodora Keogh (American novelist)
- Theodora Kroeber (American anthropologist and author)
Theodora in popular culture:
- Theodora ‘Teddy' Altman (television, “Grey's Anatomy')
- Theodora (film, ”Oz the Great and Powerful”)
- Theodora Dix (literature, “Chronicles of Avonlea” by L. M. Montgomery)
- Theodora “Theo” Crain (television, “The Haunting of Hill House”)
- Theodora “Teddy” Reed (television, “Sisters”)