Dorothea is a striking classic name for girls. Known as a given name since antiquity, Dorothea continues to appear throughout popular culture today. Dorothea Brooke is the name of a lead character in Middlemarch by George Eliot, and Dorothea Arnault is a character in the Fire Emblem series. Keep reading to learn more about this baby name.
Meaning of the name Dorothea:
Greek: Gift of God
Origin of the name Dorothea:
Dorothea originates from the Greek name Δωρόθεος. It combines the Greek elements δῶρον (meaning “gift”) and θεός (meaning “God”). This combination also produced a plethora of related names. For example, the Greek name Theodora combined the same elements in reverse order.
Symbolism of the name Dorothea:
Dorothea is a Greek name that means “gift of God.” Historically, one of the most famous bearers of the name was Saint Dorothea of Caesarea. This saint is a Christian martyr known for her commitment to monotheism. The symbol of this saint is the platter of apples. She is the patron saint of florists, gardeners, and horticulture.
Style of the name Dorothea:
Gender of the name Dorothea:
Dorothea is a girl's baby name.
Pronunciation of the name Dorothea:
Number of syllables in the name Dorothea:
Emotion evoked from the name Dorothea:
The name Dorothea evokes feelings of benevolence and bliss.
Alternative spellings for the name Dorothea:
Nicknames for the name Dorothea:
Popularity of the name Dorothea:
According to the Social Security Administration index, Dorothea was the 976th most popular baby name for girls in 1970.
Related names for the name Dorothea:
Great middle names for Dorothea and their meanings:
- Amber (resin, gemstone, jewel)
- Bronte (thunder, one who bestows)
- Charis (grace, kindness, life)
- Elsie (my God is an oath)
- Gladys (country, nation, princess, small sword)
- Honor (dignity, reputation, virtue)
- Isis (queen, throne)
- Mabel (lovable)
- Saki (blossom of hope)
- Verity (truth)
- Yolande (violet flower, modesty)
Famous people with the name Dorothea:
- Dorothea Maria Anhalt (duchess)
- Dorothea Primrose Campbell (poet)
- Dorothea Mae Towles Church (model)
- Dorothea Katherine Douglass (tennis player)
- Dorothea Lynde Dix (social reformer and activist)
- Dorothea Christiane Erxleben (physician)
- Dorothea Ann Fairbridge (writer)
- Dorothea Margaretta Lange (photojournalist)
- Dorothea Lasky (poet)
- Dorothea Margaret Tanning (painter)
Dorothea in popular culture:
- Dorothea Arnault (character in the Fire Emblem series)
- Dorothea Brooke (character in Middlemarch by George Eliot)