Thea is a regal and respected first name. Short but replete with history, Thea has played a role in popular culture since early antiquity. Thea Elvsted is the name of an important character in the play Hedda Gabler, and Thea Queen is an important DC Comics superheroine. Keep reading to learn more about this baby name.
Meaning and Origin of the Name Thea:
Thea derives from the Greek word theá (meaning “goddess”). The word theá is the feminine form of the Greek word theós (meaning “god”), and Theia is the name of one of the earliest Greek Titans. Alternatively, Thea is a diminutive of names like Dorothea or Theodora. These names mean “gift from God.” This is a name rooted in antiquity.
Symbolism of the Name Thea:
Thea comes from the Greek term theá (meaning “goddess”). In addition, Thea is an anglicized version of the Titan Theia. This Titan was the patron of sight, the goddess of light, and the mother of the moon. Her consort was Hyperion, and her children included Helios (the sun), Selene (the moon), and Eos (dawn). Symbols of Theia include the eyes as well as gold, silver, and gemstones.
Style of the Name Thea:
Gender of the Name Thea:
Thea is a girl's name.
Pronunciation of the Name Thea:
Number of Syllables in the Name Thea:
Emotion Evoked From the Name Thea:
The name Thea evokes feelings of compassion and calm.
Alternative Spellings for the Name Thea:
Nicknames for the Name Thea:
Since Thea is a shorter name, it can be hard to come up with a good nickname for it. We have a good list of suggestions here for you to consider! You can also wait for your child to grow up and give them a nickname that fits their personality. Either way, make sure the nickname you pick fits your child!
- Tee Tee
- Tay Tay
Popularity of the Name Thea:
According to the Social Security Administration index, Thea was the 300th most popular baby name for girls in 2022. Thea has ranked among the top 500 baby girl names since 2015.
Related Names for the Name Thea:
Great Middle Names for Thea and Their Meanings:
- Annette (grace)
- Charlotte (free man, strong, vigorous, petite)
- Doreen (gift)
- Jonelle (God is gracious)
- Louise (famous warrior)
- Mae (pearl)
- Melanie (dark)
- Paulette (small, humble)
- Rose (flower)
- Yvonne (yew tree)
Famous People with the Name Thea:
- Thea Andrews (journalist)
- Thea Beatrice May Astley (novelist)
- Thea Louise Gill (actress)
- Thea Eve Gilmore (singer)
- Thea Kano (conductor)
- Thea Dale Muldoon (wife of politician Robert Muldoon)
- Thea Chenelle Pineda (daughter of singer Arnel Pineda)
- Thea Megan Trinidad (wrestler)
- Thea Gabriele von Harbou (actress)
- Thea Ruth White (voice actress)
Thea in Popular Culture:
- Thea Armstrong (eponymous protagonist of the ABC sitcom Thea)
- Thea Fenchel (central character in The Adventures of Augie March by Saul Bellow)
- Thea Galehouse (protagonist of Hooked by Catherine Greenman)
- Thea Kronborg (protagonist of The Song of the Lark by Willa Cather)
- Thea Dearden Queen (DC Comics superheroine)
The image featured at the top of this post is ©SvetlanaFedoseyeva/Shutterstock.com.