When you hear the baby name Thelma, you likely think of “Thelma and Louise.” This vintage baby name is on its way to a comeback, rising to the top 300 list in France in recent years. As of 2021, Thelma is a top 8,300 option in America.
Meaning and Origin of the name Thelma:
Thelma is name for girls of Greek origin meaning “will” or “volition.”
Thelma has unknown origins. Thelma may come from the Greek word thelema (meaning “will” or “volition”). It was rare throughout Europe and America until 1887. In that year, author Marie Corelli wrote a book called “Thelma.” It became popular in the late nineteenth century after the publishing of the literature.
Symbolism of the name Thelma:
Most agree that Thelma means “unknown.” Remember, it only became popular after the creation of the book “Thelma.” Some individuals state that Thelma comes from the ancient Greek word “thelema.” “Thelema” translates to “will.”
Nicknames for the name Thelma:
Thelma is a cute name for girls that has many different nicknames from which to choose. We have put together a list of nicknames for Thelma to help you find the best one for your baby girl. There is a vast variety of options that all sound so different. You're sure to find the right one for you.
Style of the name Thelma:
Gender of the name Thelma:
Thelma is a vintage-sounding name for girls.
Pronunciation of the name Thelma:
Number of syllables in the name Thelma:
Emotion evoked from the name Thelma:
Thelma is a vintage and spunky baby name. It is wholesome and natural.
Alternative spellings for the name Thelma:
Popularity of the name Thelma:
Thelma was a top 100 name in America until 1939. It was a top 25 option in 1910 at rank 25. Thelma remained on the Social Security Popularity Index until 1982 when it was number 979 for girls. As of 2021, Thelma is a top 8,300 option.
Related names for the name Thelma:
Great middle names for Thelma and their meanings:
- Helena (shining light, bright one)
- Theodora (God's gift)
- Matilda (battle-mighty, mighty in battle)
- Blythe (a cheerful person, merry)
- Therese (harvester, to reap, to gather)
- Marie (star of the sea)
- Audrey (noble strength)
- Marissa (of the sea, wished-for child)
Famous people with the name Thelma:
- Thelma Nixon (former first lady of the United States)
- Thelma Ritter (actress, “Rear Window”)
- Thelma Schoonmaker (film editor)
- Thelma Todd (actress, “Horse Feathers”)
- Thelma Wood (sculptor)
- Thelma Houston (singer)
- Thelma McQueen (actress, “Gone with the Wind”)
Thelmas in popular culture:
- Thelma Dickinson (character from “Thelma and Louise”)
- Thelma Bates (character from “Hex”)
- Thelma Bloggs (character from “Draff”)
- Thelma Harper (character from “Mama's Family”)
- Thelma Norton (character from “The Honeymooners”)
- Thelma Evans (character from “Good Times”)
- Thelma Lou (character from “Andy Griffith”)
The image featured at the top of this post is ©Prostock-studio/Shutterstock.com.