Wilma is an endearing baby name for girls. Steadfast and serene, this name has an enduring legacy in American popular culture. Wilma Flintstone is the name of the ideal housewife in The Flintstones, and Wilma Tenderfoot is titular protagonist of the bestselling children's book series by Emma Kennedy. Keep reading to learn more about this baby name.
Meaning and Origin of the Name Wilma:
Wilma is the diminutive of the name Wilhelmina. This name is the Dutch and German feminine form of Wilhelm. The name derived from the Germanic words willeo (meaning “will” or “resolve”) and helm (meaning “helmet” or “protector”). As such, Wilma is interpreted to mean “resolute protector, strong-willed warrior”.
Symbolism of the Name Wilma:
Wilma is the short form Wilhelmina and means “resolute protector” or “strong-willed warrior”. Introduced to the United States via 19th-century European settlers, Wilma remains extremely popular in countries like Germany, Scotland, and Sweden. Within German culture, the symbol of Wilhelm and Wilhelmina was the pickelhelm (German helmet).
Nicknames for the Name Wilma:
Interested in Wilma? Then you need to check out our list of the best nicknames for Wilma:
Style of the Name Wilma:
Gender of the Name Wilma:
Wilma is a girl's name.
Pronunciation of the Name Wilma:
Number of Syllables in the Name Wilma:
Emotion Evoked From the Name Wilma:
The name Wilma evokes feelings of comfort and contentment.
Alternative Spellings for the Name Wilma:
Popularity of the Name Wilma:
According to the Social Security Administration index, Wilma was the 940th most popular baby name for girls in 1973. The name has not appeared on the top 1,000 list at any point in the 21st century.
Related Names for the Name Wilma:
Great Middle Names for Wilma and Their Meanings:
- Alvine (elf friend, noble friend)
- Amandine (lovable, worthy of love)
- Chloé (green shoot, new growth)
- Felicity (luck, happiness, good fortune)
- Kace (watchful, alert)
- Melanie (dark)
- Nazanin (sweetheart)
- Norine (woman of honor)
- Penelope (weaver)
- Seren (star)
- Tori (victory)
Famous People with the Name Wilma:
- Wilma Burgess (singer)
- Wilma Chan (politician)
- Wilma Jeanne Cooper (actress)
- Wilma Lee Cooper (singer)
- Wilma Pastrana Jiménez (wife of politician Alejandro Javier García Padilla)
- Wilma Pearl Mankiller (Native American Cherokee chief)
- Wilma Glodean Rudolph (Olympic sprinter)
- Wilma Vaught (United States brigadier general)
- Wilma Louise Victor (educator)
- Wilma Yanet Arizapana Yucra (Olympic long-distance runner)
Wilma in Popular Culture:
- Wilma Flintstone (main character on The Flintstones)
- Wilma(titular protagonist of the children's book franchise by Emma Kennedy)
The image featured at the top of this post is ©mathompl/Shutterstock.com.