Will is a baby name of English origin that means “resolute protector” or “will, brave, hardy”. Will is the nickname for names like William and Wilhelm. Will has become less popular over the years compared to the name William which has been in the top 10 names since 2007.
Meaning of the name Will:
English: resolute protector
Germanic: will, brave, hardy
Origin of the name Will:
Will is an English baby name that means “resolute protector” or “will, brave, hardy”. Will is the diminutive for the names William, Willard, and Wilhelm.
Symbolism of the name Will:
There is a flower called the Sweet William that is a cluster of small blooms usually in white, purple, or pink. The Sweet William is the symbol of gallantry and knightly behavior.
Style of the name Will:
Gender of the name Will:
Will is a boy's name.
Pronunciation of the name Will:
Number of syllables in the name Will:
Emotion evoked from the name Will:
Will evokes feelings of passion and gallantry.
Alternative spellings for the name Will:
Nicknames for the name Will:
There are no common nicknames.
Popularity of the name Will:
According to the Social Security Administration, Will is a baby name that has been popular since 1900. It was at peak popularity in the first decade of the 1900’s and slowly fell over the century. It is #947 as of 2020.
Related names for the name Will:
Great middle names for the name Will and their meanings:
- Scarlet (dark red)
- Nathan (given)
- Andrew (strong and manly)
- Michael (who is like God?)
- Hugo (intellect)
- Rowan (little redhead)
- Soren (stern)
- Callum (dove)
- Lachlan (from the fjord-land)
Famous people with the name Will:
- Will Rogers (American actor and comedian)
- Will Smith (American actor and rapper)
- Will Ferrell (American actor and comedian)
- Will Arnett (American actor)
Wills in popular culture:
- Will Turner (film, Pirates of the Caribbean)
- Will Hunting (film, “Good Will Hunting”)
- Will Graham (television, “Hannibal”)
- Will Truman (television, “Will and Grace”)
- Will Scarlet (Robin Hood legends)