Willard is a classic baby name used for boys. The name Willard is also a name that originally began as a surname. Keep reading to discover more about the name.
Meaning of the name Willard:
German for “resolutely brave”.
Origin of the name Willard:
Willard is a baby name that comes with both English and Germanic origins. Traditionally, Willard started out as an English surname. The name Willard was derived from a Germanic given name “Willihard”.
Symbolism of the name Willard:
Willard is a name that can symbolize someone who is brave, determined, and chivalrous.
Style of the name Willard:
Gender of the name Willard:
The baby name Willard is traditionally used for boys.
Pronunciation of the name Willard:
Number of syllables in the name Willard:
Emotion evoked from the name Willard:
As a baby name, Willard can evoke feelings of courage and passion.
Alternative spellings for the name Willard:
Nicknames for the name Willard:
Popularity of the name Willard:
According to the Social Security Administration, the baby name Willard was most popular in the early 1900s. In 1915, Willard landed as high as #58 on the top 1000 list of popular baby names.
Related names for the name Willard:
Great middle names for Willard and their meanings:
- Nicolas (people of vistory)
- Christian (follower of Christ)
- James (supplanter)
- Elliot (Jehovah is God)
- Arthur (bear)
- Walter (army ruler)
- Rupert (bright fame)
- Hugo (mind, intellect)
Famous people with the name Willard:
- Willard Dyson (American drummer)
- Willard Metcalf (American artist)
- WillardSmith Jr. (full name for American actor, producer, rapper Will Smith)
- Willard Ryan (American football coach)
Willards in movies/pop culture:
- Willard Decker (character in the “Star Trek” universe)
- Willard Whyte (character in the James Bond movie “Diamonds Are Forever”)
- “Willard” (a 1971 and a 2003 horror film)