Teddy is an English baby boy’s name that means either “gift of God” or “rich guard”. Teddy was originally a midcentury diminutive for the names Theodore and Edward.
Meaning of the name Teddy:
English: rich guard, gift of God
Origin of the name Teddy:
Teddy is an English boy’s name that is the diminutive of either Theodore (meaning “gift of God”) or Edward (meaning “rich guard). Rarely, Teddy is a diminutive of feminine Theodora.
Symbolism of the name Teddy:
Teddy is impossible to separate from the image of the teddy bear. The teddy bear, named for American president Theodore Roosevelt, is an almost omnipresent symbol of childhood.
Style of the name Teddy:
Gender of the name Teddy:
Teddy is a boy's name.
Pronunciation of the name Teddy:
Number of syllables in the name Teddy:
Emotion evoked from the name Teddy:
Teddy evokes feelings of hard work and youthful energy.
Alternative spellings for the name Teddy:
Nicknames for the name Teddy:
Popularity of the name Teddy:
According to the Social Security Administration, Teddy is a popular baby boy’s name that was in the top 1000 names from 1900 to 1996. Teddy peaked at #239 in 1933.
Related names for the name Teddy:
Great middle names for the name Teddy and their meanings:
- Kit (bearing Christ, young fox)
- Hugo (mind, intellect)
- Otis (wealthy)
- Casper (bringer of treasure)
- Charles (estate ruler)
- Nicholas (people of victory)
- Luke (from Lucania)
- Isaac (laughter)
- Micah (who is like the Lord)
- Jude (praised)
Famous people with the name Teddy:
- Theodore “Teddy” Roosevelt (30th President of the United States)
- Teddy Dunn (American actor)
- Teddy Pendergrass (American R&B singer)
- Teddy Wilson (American pianist)
- Teddy Edwards (American jazz musician)
Teddy in popular culture:
- Edward “Teddy” Remus Lupin (literature, Harry Potter series by J.K. Rowling)
- Teddy Grant (television, “Scandal”)
- Teddy Falls (television, “Fringe”)
- Teddy Craft (film, “Tusk”)
- Teddy Sanders (film, “The Martian”)