Edwin is an esteemed classic baby name for boys. Associated with the heart of Anglo-Saxon culture, this name remained extremely popular well into the 20th century. Edwin Archibilt is a main character in the Sims series, and Edwin Jarvis is character in the Marvel Comics universe. Keep reading to learn more about this baby name.
Meaning of the name Edwin:
Old English: Rich friend, wealthy guardian
Origin of the name Edwin:
Edwin is an Anglo-Saxon name that originates from the Old English words ēad (meaning “rich” or “prosperous”) and wine (meaning “friend”).
Symbolism of the name Edwin:
Edwin is an Old English name that means “rich friend.” It is among the elite group of Anglo-Saxon names that survived the Norman Conquest of 1066. Various spellings of the name included Ēadwine and Æduinus (before finally evolving into Edwin). One of the most famous bearers of the name was King Edwin of Northumbria. As ruler the Northern Angles, Edwin converted to Christianity in 627. He died as a martyr during the Battle of Hatfield Chase. The symbol of King Edwin was the crown.
Style of the name Edwin:
Gender of the name Edwin:
Edwin is a boy's name.
Pronunciation of the name Edwin:
Number of syllables in the name Edwin:
Emotion evoked from the name Edwin:
The name Edwin evokes feelings of security and strength.
Alternative spellings for the name Edwin:
Nicknames for the name Edwin:
Popularity of the name Edwin:
According to the Social Security Administration index, Edwin was the 345th most popular baby name for boys in 2020.
Related names for the name Edwin:
Great middle names for Edwin and their meanings:
- Ansel (divine protection)
- Barry (fair-haired, spear)
- Bastian (honorable, venerable, revered)
- Christian (follower of Christ)
- Douglas (dark river)
- Frederic (peaceful ruler)
- Kellan (slender, swampy, bright-haired one)
- Lyle (island)
- Myron (myrrh, cologne, fragrant oil)
- Shawn (God is gracious)
- Vladimir (renowned prince, great ruler)
- Vicenzo (victorious, conquering, prevailing)
- Wesley (westward meadow)
Famous people with the name Edwin:
- Edwin Austin Abbey (artist)
- Edwin Eugene “Buzz” Aldrin (astronaut)
- Edwin Howard Armstrong (inventor)
- Edwin Anthony Biedermann (Olympic athlete)
- Edwin ‘Eddie' Carlos Colon (wrestler)
- Edwin Washington Edwards (politician)
- Edwin Joel Honoret (singer)
- Edwin Powell Hubble (astronomer)
- Edwin Herbert Land (inventor)
- Edwin Henry Landseer (painter)
Edwin in popular culture:
- Edwin Archibilt (character in the Sims series)
- Edwin Drood (protagonist of The Mystery of Edwin Drood by Charles Dickens)
- Edwin Jarvis (character in the Marvel Comics universe)