Theresa is a baby girl’s name of English origin that means “summer” or “to harvest”. It is the English form of the Spanish name Theresia. It was a wildly popular name for the entirety of the 20th century, in the top 100 baby names list for more than 60 years.
Meaning of the name Theresa:
English: summer, to harvest
Origin of the name Theresa:
Theresa is an English baby girl’s name that means “summer” or “to harvest”. Theresa is the English form of the Spanish name Therasia.
Symbolism of the name Theresa:
Theresa means “summer” or “to harvest”. Summer is the season of plenty and a symbol of maturity, good health, and joy.
Style of the name Theresa:
Gender of the name Theresa:
Theresa is a girl's name.
Pronunciation of the name Theresa:
tə-REE-sə, tə-REE-zə (English), teh-REH-za (German)
Number of syllables in the name Theresa:
Emotion evoked from the name Theresa:
Theresa evokes feelings of passion and nurturing.
Alternative spellings for the name Theresa:
Teresa, Theriesa, Teriesa, Thereza, Tereza
Nicknames for the name Theresa:
Popularity of the name Theresa:
According to the Social Security Administration, Theresa is a popular baby girl’s name. Theresa was in the top 1000 baby names list from 1900 to 2010. It was in the top 100 from 1924 to 1977.
Related names for the name Theresa:
Great middle names for the name Theresa and their meanings:
- Irina (peace)
- Rosalie (rose)
- Helene (bright, shining one)
- Jane (God is gracious)
- Grace (virtue name)
- Lilith (ghost, night monster)
- Wren (little bird)
- Violet (purple, the flower)
Famous people with the name Theresa:
- Theresa Hak Kyung Cha (American novelist)
- Theresa Saldana (American actress)
- Theresa Randle (American actress)
- Theresa Zabell (Spanish Olympic sailor)
- Theresa Rebeck (American playwright and novelist)
Theresa in popular culture:
- Theresa “Terri” McGreggor (television, “Degrassi: The Next Generation”)
- Theresa Diaz (television, “The O.C.”)
- Theresa “Tessa” Young (literature, “After” by Anna Todd)
- Theresa Mariah Magdalene McQueen (television, “Hollyoaks”)
- Theresa “Terry” Cherry Perry (television, “Lab Rats”)