Gladys is an old-fashioned baby name, coming from ancient Wales. It became popular at the turn of the twentieth century because of several romantic authors. As of 2021, Gladys is a top 4,200 option.
Meaning of the Name Gladys
The baby name Gladys originates from the Old Welsh option, Gwladus. Gwladus comes from the Welsh word “gwlad.” Some individuals believe that Gladys is the Welsh version of Claudia, a name that dates back to the New Testament.
Gladys likely originates from the ancient Welsh name Gwladus. Gwladus, as mentioned comes from the Welsh “gwlad.” “Gwlad” translates to “country.” Others believe that Gladys comes from Claudia, a variation of the Latin “claudus,” which means “lame” or “crippled.”
Nicknames for Gladys
Gladys is a kind and humble baby name. It is vintage and simple. Since a name like Gladys is more traditional and has been around for some time, there's plenty of options when it comes to a nickname. Below, we've compiled some possible nicknames for the Gladys in your life:
Gladys Name Details
Gender: Gladys is traditionally considered to be a girls name.
Alternative Spelling for Gladys
Gladys Name Popularity
The baby name Gladys was a top 50 name in America until 1930, ranking highest in 1901 at number 11. Gladys remained a top 100 option until 1937, remaining on the top 1,000 list until 1999. As of 2021, Gladys is a top 4,200 option at rank 4,131.
Related Names for Gladys
Great Middle Names for Gladys and Their Meanings
- Juliet (youthful, Jove's child)
- Moira (destiny, share, fate)
- Naomi (pleasantness, beautiful, gentle)
- Amelia (work, industrious, striving)
- Florence (blossoming, flourishing)
- Claudia (lame, enclosure)
- Adeline (noble, nobility)
- Fleur (flower)
Famous People Named Gladys
- Gladys Knight (singer for The Pips)
- Gladys Cooper (actress)
- Gladys Moncreiff (singer)
- Gladys Blossom (Congresswoman from Maryland)
- Gladys Hulette (silent film actress)
- Gladys Gillem (pro wrestler)
- Gladys Heldman (tennis promoter)
- Gladys Presley (mother of Elvis Presley)
Gladys in Popular Culture
- Gladys Eysenarch (character from “Jezebel”)
- Gladys Biggs (character from “Meet Mr. Mulliner”)
- Gladys Worsley (character from “Sylvia Scarlett”)
- Gladys Hilman (character from “St Clare”)
- Gladys Hannah (character from “Fran Bow”)
The image featured at the top of this post is ©Eviart/Shutterstock.com.