Layla is a captivating first name. Famous as the name of the female protagonist in Layla and Majnun, this name possesses plenty of modern appeal. Layla Rose Miller is an important character in Marvel Comics), Layla Hamilton is a distinct role in the manga series Kaleido Star. Keep reading to learn more about this baby name.
Meaning of the name Layla:
Arabic: Night, dusk, dark
Origin of the name Layla:
Layla derives from the Proto-Semitic root layl (meaning “night”). This word root produced the name Layla in Arabic as well as Leyla in Hebrew, Aramaic, and Syriac. Since layl also indicated “dusk” and “dark,” some experts interpret the name Layla to mean “dark beauty,” “dusky beauty,” or “daughter of the night.”
Symbolism of the name Layla:
Layla is the Arabic word for “night.” Traditionally, Layla is a name given to girls born during the evening to honor the timing of their births. Symbols for Layla include the crescent moon and the starlit sky.
Style of the name Layla:
Gender of the name Layla:
Layla is a girl's name.
Pronunciation of the name Layla:
Number of syllables in the name Layla:
Emotion evoked from the name Layla:
The name Layla evokes feelings of mystery and beauty.
Alternative spellings for the name Layla:
Nicknames for the name Layla:
Popularity of the name Layla:
According to the Social Security Administration index, Layla was the 24th most popular baby girl name in 2020. Layla has ranked among the top 100 baby girl names since 2006.
Related names for the name Layla:
Great middle names for Layla and their meanings:
- Alisha (noble)
- Amber (gemstone, resin)
- Eloise (healthy)
- Fatimah (captivating, she who abstains)
- Giselle (pledge)
- Imani (faith, belief)
- Maryam (beloved, star of the sea)
- Noor (light)
- Taylor (tailor)
- Zara (brilliant, bright)
Famous people with the name Layla:
- Layla Amaria Ali (daughter of Muhammad Ali)
- Layla Rose Hanbury (singer)
- Layla “Lili” Iskandar (footballer)
- Layla Eveleen McCarter (professional boxer)
- Layla Michelle Moran (politician)
Layla in popular culture:
- LaylaMahdi (female protagonist of the narrative poem retelling by Nizami Ganjavi)
- Layla Hamilton (character in the manga series Kaleido Star)
- Layla Rose Miller (character in Marvel Comics)