While Lydia is a name with Greek origins, it's also considered an important biblical name for Christians. In the book of Acts, Lydia is a seller of purple goods, and Paul converts her to Christianity. Throughout the 20th and 21st centuries, it's remained one of the most popular baby names for girls in the United States, and it's been used as a name for countless characters in books, TV shows and movies.
Meaning of the name Lydia:
Greek: Woman from the kingdom of Lydia
Origin of the name Lydia:
Lydia was the name of a kingdom in Ancient Greece, so its most original meaning was literally “a woman from Lydia.” Even Lydia who appeared in the Bible was thought to have Greek origins. The biblical Lydia appears in the book of Acts and is converted to Christianity by the Apostle Paul.
Symbolism of the name Lydia:
Lydia who appeared in the Bible is now considered a saint by some Christian denominations. The woman offered the Apostle Paul a place to stay and was known for her compassion, a sentiment that many people relate to the name Lydia today.
Style of the name Lydia:
Gender of the name Lydia:
Lydia is a girl's name.
Pronunciation of the name Lydia:
Number of syllables in the name Lydia:
Emotion evoked from the name Lydia:
The baby name Lydia evokes a sense of compassion and kindness.
Alternative spellings for the name Lydia:
Nicknames for the name Lydia:
Popularity of the name Lydia:
According to the Social Security Administration, Lydia has been on of the most popular baby names in the United States for well over a century. As far back as 1900, it was the 104th-most popular baby name for girls. Since 2011, it's been one of the top 100 baby names for girls, coming in at number 96 in 2020.
Related names for the name Lydia:
Great middle names for Lydia and their meanings:
- Joy (happiness)
- Kate (pure)
- Faith (confidence and trust)
- Pearl (smooth round bead)
- Rose (flower)
- Jewel (delight)
- Grace (God's grace)
- Michelle (who is like God)
- Anne (gracious, merciful)
- Charlotte (free)
Famous people with the name Lydia:
- Lydia Millet (author)
- Lydia Hearst (model)
- Lydia Cornell (actress)
- Lydia Baxter (poet)
- Lydia Canann (singer)
- Lydia Lunch (singer)
Lydias in popular culture:
- Lydia Wickham (character in the book “Pride and Prejudice”
- Lydia Brenner (character in the horror film “The Birds”)
- Lydia Deetz (character in the film “Beetlejuice”)
- Lydia Douce (character in the novel “Ulysses”)
- Lydia Fox (character on the TV show “Arthur”)
- Lydia Karenin (character on the soap opera “General Hospital”)
- Lydia Maxwell (character in the movie “Innerspace”)
- Lydia Rodarte-Quayle (character on the TV show “Breaking Bad”)
- RavenBaxter (main character on the TV show “That's So Raven”)