Lucy is a beautiful name that has a bit of spunk and personality to it. It is used as a standalone first name and as a popular nickname for the name Lucille. The most popular characters who have ever had the name include Lucy Ricardo from “I Love Lucy” and Lucy from the “Peanuts” comic strip.
Meaning of the name Lucy:
Origin of the name Lucy:
The use of the baby name Lucy began in the Middle Ages in England. It was the English version of the Latin name Lucia. Lucia comes from the word in Latin that is “lux” which translates to “light.”
Symbolism of the name Lucy:
Lucy means light as it is based on the Latin word for light, “lux.” The name was created to be given to girls who were born at dawn in Rome, then later in England. Dawn is considered the first light of day, which gives the name Lucy its meaning.
Style of the name Lucy:
Gender of the name Lucy:
Lucy is a girl's name.
Pronunciation of the name Lucy:
Number of syllables in the name Lucy:
Emotion evoked from the name Lucy:
Due to the popularity of actress Lucille Ball, the name Lucy feels spunky and full of personality. The name is associated with wholesome people though who are joyful to be around.
Alternative spellings for the name Lucy:
Nicknames for the name Lucy:
Popularity of the name Lucy:
The baby name Lucy was on the top 100 list until the year 1924, then came back to the top 100 list in 2010 at number 75. This may be due to the popularity of vintage names that have occurred in recent years. As of 2019, the name was put on the top 50 list, and it now ranks at number 49 overall.
Related names for the name Lucy:
Great middle names for Lucy and their meanings:
- Amber (orange/red)
- Anissa (satisfaction)
- Catherine (pure)
- Juliana (juvenile, youthful)
- Megan (great, mighty)
- Oakley (meadow of oak trees)
- Vivienne (alive)
Famous people with the name Lucy:
- Lucy Hale (actress, “Pretty Little Liars”)
- Lucy Liu (actress, “Charlie's Angels”)
- Lucy Stone (suffragist)
- Lucy Maud L.M. Montgomery (novelist, “Anne of Green Gables”)
- Lucy Rose Parton (singer, “Shiver”)
- Lucy Griffiths (actress, “Robin Hood”)
Lucys in popular culture:
- Lucy Ricardo (main character in “I Love Lucy”)
- Lucy (character from “Peanuts” comics)
- Lucy Pevensie (character in “Chronicles of Narnia” series)
- Lucy Pearl (R&B band)
- Lucy Weasley (character in “Harry Potter”)