Roland is a Germanic boy’s name meaning “famous across the land”. Roland has been a popular name in the US since 1900 and popularity has been on the rise since 2010. Roland is a name traditionally associated with knights and chivalry and makes a great choice for any little boy.
Meaning of the name Roland:
German: famous across the land
Origin of the name Roland:
Roland is a Franco-German name that means “famous across the land”.
Symbolism of the name Roland:
Roland is a chivalric name and is associated with the symbols of knightly valor, most notably the sword. A sword was more than a weapon to a knight but also a badge of office.
Style of the name Roland:
Gender of the name Roland:
Roland is a boy's name.
Pronunciation of the name Roland:
RO-lənd (English), RAW-LAHN (French), RO-lant (German)
Number of syllables in the name Roland:
Emotion evoked from the name Roland:
Roland evokes feelings of chivalry and bravery.
Alternative spellings for the name Roland:
Rolland, Rowland, Roeland
Nicknames for the name Roland:
Popularity of the name Roland:
According to the Social Security Administration, Roland is a baby boy’s name that has been popular since 1900. Roland was in the top 200 names until 1954 but popularity has begun to return since 2010.
Related names for the name Roland:
Great middle names for the name Roland and their meanings:
- Locke (fortified)
- Oliver (olive tree)
- August (magnificent)
- Luca (man from Lucania)
- Oscar (champion)
- Loch (lake)
Famous people with the name Roland:
- Roland Barthes (French literary theorist)
- Roland Jaime Orzabal (British singer)
- Roland Emmerich (German film director)
- Roland “Champ” Bailey (American football player)
- Roland Leighton (English poet)
Roland in popular culture:
- Roland Deschain (literature, “Dark Tower” series by Stephen King)
- Roland Daggett (DC comics)
- King Roland II (television, “Sofia the First”)
- Roland (television, “Once Upon a Time”)
- Roland Hallivard (literature, “Throne of Glass” series by Sarah J. Maas)