Orlando is a fun and lyrical baby name for boys. Reminiscent of mystical knights, Orlando is the name of wildly successful actors and athletes. Orlando is the name of the male protagonist in As You Like It by William Shakespeare, and Orlando is also the name of Florida's fourth most-populous city. Keep reading to learn more about this baby name.
Meaning of the name Orlando:
Italian, Frankish: Famous in the land, renowned, brave warrior
Origin of the name Orlando:
Orlando is the Italian form of the Frankish name Roland. The name Roland derives from the Old Frankish stems Hrōð or χrōþi (meaning “fame” or “renown”) and landa (meaning “land”). Some transcriptions of the name also used the suffix rand (meaning “brave”). In either case, these Frankish elements produced the name Hrōþiland. The name evolved into the modern versions of Rowland, Roland, and Orlando.
Symbolism of the name Orlando:
Orlando is the Italian version of a Frankish name that meant “renowned in the land.” The most famous bearer of the name was Roland of France. While defending the Frankish frontier against invading Bretons, Roland died heroically at Roncevaux Pass. Since Roland is an archetypal medieval knight, his symbols included the draw sword and shield.
Style of the name Orlando:
Gender of the name Orlando:
Orlando is a boy's name.
Pronunciation of the name Orlando:
Number of syllables in the name Orlando:
Emotion evoked from the name Orlando:
The name Orlando evokes feelings of heroism and happiness.
Alternative spellings for the name Orlando:
Nicknames for the name Orlando:
Popularity of the name Orlando:
According to the Social Security Administration index, Orlando was the 779th most popular baby name for boys in 2020.
Related names for the name Orlando:
Great middle names for Orlando and their meanings:
- Abel (breath, vapor, son)
- Benito (blessed)
- Boris (wolf, snow leopard, famous warrior)
- Chadwick (warrior town)
- Cole (coal)
- Deacon (cleric)
- Hector (steadfast, protector, holder)
- Isaac (laughing, rejoicing)
- Seth (appointed)
- Wynn (blessed, fair, friend)
Famous people with the name Orlando:
- Orlando Radhames Antigua (basketball player)
- Orlando Jonathan Bloom (actor)
- Orlando Claude Brown (football player)
- Orlando Luis Cabrera (baseball player)
- Orlando Guy Figes (historian)
- Orlando Jacinto Garcia (composer)
- Orlando Mason Jordan (wrestler)
- Orlando Metcalfe Poe (military officer)
- Orlando Henry Smith (basketball coach)
- Orlando Antonio Vásquez (weightlifter)
Orlando in popular culture:
- Orlando (male protagonist in As You Like It by William Shakespeare)
- Orlando Innamorato (eponymous epic about the Frankish military leader)
- Orlando Furioso (eponymous sequel about the Frankish military leader)
- OrlandoMarmalade Cat (eponymous hero of the children's book series by Kathleen Hale)