Sophia and Sofia are pronounced the same, though Sophia ranks higher on the Social Security Index. Despite this, however, the name Sofia is catching up and now ranks within the top 20 list. Much of Europe actually favors Sofia, especially when considering it has been used for queens in both Russia and Spain.
Meaning of the name Sofia:
Origin of the name Sofia:
The baby name Sofia is a variation on the Greek word for wisdom. This word is “sophia”, which is why Sofia means the same. The Greek word sophia, however, is actually a conjugation of the word “sophos” which is wise in Greek.
Symbolism of the name Sofia:
The name Sofia is reserved for those who are wise, and this has been showcased throughout history. Both fictional and real royalty alike has been given this name if only due to the meaning that follows behind it. It is a very elegant name as is still observed throughout Europe.
Style of the name Sofia:
The baby name Sofia is a bit more modern than the alternate spelling of Sophia. It is still traditional in nature, however, to historical Greek culture.
Gender of the name Sofia:
The gender of the baby name Sofia is for females.
Pronunciation of the name Sofia:
SOH-fee-e or so-FEE-a
Number of syllables in the name Sofia:
There are three syllables in the baby name Sofia.
Emotion evoked from the name Sofia:
Sofia is a royal name that spread with the spread of Christianity throughout the world. This gives it the emotions of dignity, respect, honor, and even pride. If you want your daughter to feel powerful, what better way to do so then to give her this name.
Alternative spellings for the name Sofia:
Nicknames for the name Sofia:
Popularity of the name Sofia:
The spelling of Sofia is not as popular as the spelling Sophia, but it has still been on the top 20 list of the Social Security Popularity Index since 2011. As of the year 2020, it has been in the number 17 spot for three years, though it reached the number 12 spot in 2014.
Related names for the name Sofia:
Great middle names for Sofia and their meanings:
- Esme (esteemed)
- Eva (life, mother of life)
- Gabrielle (God is my strength)
- Clarice (bright, clear, famous)
- Blair (plain, field, meadow, battlefield)
- Olivia (olive, olive tree, ancestor's descendent)
- Lenore (light)
Famous people with the name Sofia:
- Sofia Vergara (actress, “Modern Family”)
- Sofia Coppola (film director)
- Sofia Carson (actress, “Descendents”)
- Sofia Richie (professional model)
- Sofia Reyes (pop singer)
- Sofia Boutella (professional dancer)
- Sofia de Borbon (princess of Spain)
Sofias in popular culture:
- Sofia the First (title character in “Sofia the First”)
- Sofia Johnson (character in “The Color Purple”)
- Sofia Curtis (character in “CSI”)
- Sofia Lamb (character in Bioshock 2)
- Sofia Sartor (character in Assassin's Creed: Revelations)