The name Blair is used for both boys and girls, though it is much more common for girls. It began as a surname for those who lived in communities in Scotland called “Blair” giving the meaning of “field” or “plain.” The name may not be as popular as other unisex names, but it is still widely used.
Meaning of the name Blair:
Scottish: field, plain, dweller on the plain, battlefield
Origin of the name Blair:
Blair was originally a surname in historical Scotland for families who lived among the battlefields and plains. It was one of the first European surnames to start being used as a first name. There were towns and communities throughout these areas that were called “Blair.” Though used for boys and girls, the name has spread to be more of one that is used for girls.
Symbolism of the name Blair:
The meaning of the name Blair comes from the names of towns that are throughout the Scottish fields that were once battlefields. Families who lived among those towns were given the surname Blair, and it quickly transitioned to become the first name throughout the world.
Style of the name Blair:
The style of the name Blair is traditional in European history since it was among the first generation of surnames that became the first name.
Gender of the name Blair:
The baby name Blair is used for both boys and girls, though it may be more popular among girls. It is truly unisex, however.
Pronunciation of the name Blair:
Number of syllables in the name Blair:
There is only one syllable in the baby name Blair.
Emotion evoked from the name Blair:
Emotions evoked from the name Blair are very strong and mighty. It has a very indicative sense of bravery and conquest.
Alternative spellings for the name Blair:
Nicknames for the name Blair:
- Bumble Bee
- Blair Bear
Popularity of the name Blair:
As of 2020, the ranking of the name Blair was the highest it has ever been at number 333 on the list. It has never risen to the top 200 list, however, and not even the top 300 is of names in the United States.
Related names for the name Blair:
Great middle names for Blair and their meanings:
- Ainsley (person from Ansley, England)
- Annabelle (beauty, favored grace)
- Felicity (happiness, luck, good fortune)
- Evangeline (gospel, good news)
- Kingsley (from the king's wood, glade, meadow)
- Jackson (son of Jack/John)
- Hudson (son of Hudde)
- Parker (park keeper)
Famous people with the name Blair:
- Blair Dreelan (pop singer)
- Blair Underwood (television actor, “Heat of the Night”)
- Blair Brown (actress, “Fringe”)
- Blair Walsh (NFL player, Vikings, Seahawks)
- Blair O'Neal (professional golfer)
- Blair Bowman (professional cheerleader)
- Blair Conklin (professional surfer)
Blairs in popular culture:
- Dr. Blair (character in “The Thing”)
- Blair Tolliver 2 (character in “The Other Woman”)
- Blair Waldorf (character in “Gossip Girl”)