Kingsley is a posh and sophisticated baby name for boys. Reminiscent of high nobility, this name also has a treasured place in popular culture. Kingsley Shacklebolt is the name of a beloved wizard in the Harry Potter franchise, and Kingsley the Lion was a puppet featured on The Walker Edmiston Show. Keep reading to learn more about this name.
Meaning of the name Kingsley:
Old English: King's meadow
Origin of the name Kingsley:
Kingsley derives from the Old English name Cyningesleah. This name combined the words cyning (meaning “king” or “chieftain”) and lēah (meaning “meadow,” “field,” or “glade”).
Symbolism of the name Kingsley:
Kingsley originated as a surname and later became a given name. First recorded as Cyningesleah, the name became Kyngesly during the Norman Empire before evolving into the modern-day Kingsley. Various English counties (such as Cheshire and Hampshire) have villages that bear the name. The symbol of the surname Kingsley is the calendula flower found in the woodland meadows of these historic regions.
Style of the name Kingsley:
Gender of the name Kingsley:
Kingsley is a boy's name.
Pronunciation of the name Kingsley:
Number of syllables in the name Kingsley:
Emotion evoked from the name Kingsley:
The name Kingsley evokes feelings of royalty and renown.
Alternative spellings for the name Kingsley:
Nicknames for the name Kingsley:
Popularity of the name Kingsley:
According to the Social Security Administration index, Kingsley was the 630th most popular baby name for boys in 2020.
Related names for the name Kingsley:
Great middle names for Kingsley and their meanings:
- Andrew (manly, masculine, strong)
- Bradford (broad ford)
- Charles (free man, strong, virile, petite)
- Dalton (valley town)
- Jermaine (brother)
- Owen (noble, youthful, well-born)
- Richard (brave ruler)
- Shad (happy, joyful)
- Solomon (peace)
- Upton (upper settlement, uptown)
- Yohannes (God is gracious)
- Zeke (God will strengthen)
Famous people with the name Kingsley:
- Kingsley William Amis (novelist)
- Kingsley Mark Akpan (entrepreneur)
- Kingsley Terence Black (footballer)
- Kingsley Ben-Adir (actor)
- Kingsley Tyrone James (footballer)
- Kingsley Chiedu Moghalu (economist)
- Kingsley Martin (journalist)
- Kingsley “King” Russell (YouTuber)
- Kingsley Wood (politician)
- Kingsley Arter Taft (politician)
Kingsley in popular culture:
- Kingsley the Lion (puppet featured on The Walker Edmiston Show)
- Kingsley Owen (character in Fresh Meat)
- Kingsley Shacklebolt (supporting character in the Harry Potter franchise)
- Kingsley Zissou (character in The Life Aquatic)