There is a good chance you know someone named Richard — it's one of the most common baby names in history, dating back to the Middle Ages. It's associated with saints, kings and other noteworthy men, and for years, it was one of the top five baby names for boys in the United States. Rich is a strong name with a powerful meaning – literally, and it pairs well with almost any middle name.
Meaning of the name Richard:
German: Brave and powerful ruler
Origin of the name Richard:
Richard is a name that is derived from Germanic words for “powerful” and “brave.” The French brought it to England after the Norman Conquest, and it became one of the most common names in history.
Symbolism of the name Richard:
The name Richard is often associated with the legendary Richard the Lionheart who was a brave and powerful ruler of England. For this reason, the name truly symbolizes bravery and strength.
Style of the name Richard:
Gender of the name Richard:
Richard is a boy's name.
Pronunciation of the name Richard:
Number of syllables in the name Richard:
Emotion evoked from the name Richard:
The baby name Richard evokes an image of someone who is smart and a great leader.
Alternative spellings for the name Richard:
Nicknames for the name Richard:
Popularity of the name Richard:
Richard has been a top 1,000 baby name since at least 1900. As of 2020, it ranks at number 208.
Related names for the name Richard:
Great middle names for Richard and their meanings:
- James (supplanter)
- Austin (great, magnificent)
- Cade (round, barrel)
- Drake (dragon, male duck)
- August (great, magnificent)
- Alexander (protector of men)
- Jude (praised)
- Caleb (devoted to God)
- Thomas (twin)
Famous people with the name Richard:
- Richard Sears (founder of Sears, businessman)
- Richard Wayne Penniman aka “Little Richard” (musician)
- Richard “Rick” Danko (musician)
- Richard Burton (actor)
- Richard Sherman (football player)
- Richard Branson (founder of Virgin Group, businessman)
- Richard Nixon (former US president)
- Richard Dreyfuss (actor)
- Richard Scarry (author
- Richard Attenborough (actor)
Richards in popular culture:
- Richard “Richie” J. Cunningham (character from the TV show “Happy Days”)
- Richard Blaine (character from the movie “Casablanca”)
- Richard Ashenden (character from the movie “Secret Agent”)
- Richard “Dick” Grayson aka Robin (DC Comics character)
- Richard “Rick” Sanchez (character from the TV show “Rick and Morty”)
- Richard Stratton (character from the TV show “Silver Spoons”)
- Richard Blaney (character from the movie “Frenzy”)